Earl Grey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed up a 100% wheat ale last night with five pounds of Briess white wheat and 12 IBUs of Cascade. I used S-33 which is loving life right now as I type.

I'm going to add Earl Grey tea to it at bottling but I'm unsure how much to use. Earl Grey has a pretty strong flavor and I don't want it to overrun the "delicate" flavor of an all wheat beer.

Does a teaspoon of regular strength brewed tea per 12oz bottle sound about right?

I would pull a 12oz sample out of your fermentor, brew a STRONG cup of tea with a KNOWN amount of tea leaves and then add it 1/4tsp at a time to your sample. If you have some measuring spoons, you'll probably have a 1/4tsp. Make sure the tea is strong (more leaves per cup of water than you would usually make), but steeped at the correct temperature (and not very long) to avoid getting any astringency at all which is super easy to do with tea.

Back