first personal recipe...thoughts? little nervous, but i love beer so ill drink it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben24

Reaction score
5 gallon batch
Honey Wheat IPA? (have a name but its so damn catch not willing to publish yet)
6 lbs LME (briess wheat)
2 lbs DME
1.5 lbs clover honey
1 oz sweet orange peel
2.5 lbs white wheat (crushed)
hops:
2 oz mt ranier
2 oz horizon
1 oz horthdown
1 oz tettnang (us)
yeast: weihenstephan weizen wyeast ACT3068

gameplan:

2.5 gallon boil, steep white wheat for 40 minutes at 165-185
return to boil, add 4 lbs of LME for 15 minutes
add DME subside foaming and begin hop regimen
75 minutes: 1 oz ranier
60 minutes: 1 oz horizon
45 minutes: 1 oz northdown
30 minutes: 1 oz tettnang and remaining LME
15 minutes: honey and orange peel

pitch yeast

4 days dry hop with ranier
7 days dry hop with horizon

after 10 days to secondary
at 24 days bottle

id love input. been working with kits for entire point up to now. have acheived decent product but not to the creativity i'd love to eventually work with. :fro:

MalFet said:
Unfortunately, wheat malt won't really give you much by steeping. You need to mash it.

First time w wheat. Had read that time at that temp would get enzymes rolling and get some sugar out. Using enough lme and honey to get abv in range I'd like. Was hoping for some color and additional wheat vibe from the wheat.

Am I wrong in this gameplan. Again I'm very new and looking to absorb knowledge.

First time w wheat. Had read that time at that temp would get enzymes rolling and get some sugar out. Using enough lme and honey to get abv in range I'd like. Was hoping for some color and additional wheat vibe from the wheat.

Am I wrong in this gameplan. Again I'm very new and looking to absorb knowledge.

The wheat will convert itself, but a mash requires you to be a bit more careful than 40 minutes at 165-185. There's no reason not to do a mini-mash, but if you are essentially going to be mashing anyway you should really put the effort in to do it properly. Principally, that means temp control.

Back