Banana flavor in trappist ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed this trappist ale kit from midwest:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html

And am getting a pretty strong banana flavor after my first tasting. It was in the primary for 3 weeks and in a keg for 3-4 days now. It looks a lot like a hefe and even has a pretty strong banana flavor profile like you see in a lot of hefes. (It actually looks and taste a LOT like franziskaner, if it was a blind taste test I would probably guess it was a clone of that).

It looked like a normal trappist ale would look when transferring into the keg but now it is very cloudy.

I used the dry yeast option (which I know think was probably a poor choice) and fermented at 68 degrees (temperature of the room). I know its still pretty early but will the banana flavor fade at all and should I maybe take the keg out of the fridge and keep it at room temperature for a little while?

What yeast was it? Do you know? A lot of Belgian yeasts will have a banana nose. That can be expected quite often for the style. If it's overpowering that would be the result of high temperatures but 68F should be fine. Give it a few weeks though and everything should mellow.

What yeast was it? Do you know? A lot of Belgian yeasts will have a banana nose. That can be expected quite often for the style. If it's overpowering that would be the result of high temperatures but 68F should be fine. Give it a few weeks though and everything should mellow.

Should I give it a few weeks in the fridge or take it out?

And it was Safbrew T-58 yeast.

Back