Brewed my first batch today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrathsU

Reaction score
Bought the recipe kit to make a cherry wheat beer but found out cherries aren't in season here. Kiwi's are though! So instead of 10lbs of cherries I grabbed 6.5lbs of Kiwis to sub.

6.6lbs Wheat Malt Extract
6.5lbs kiwi fruit
2oz whole hops hallertauer (boil)
1/2oz whole hops hallertauer (finish)
1pkg liquid yeast (belgian ale)

Ran into a couple problems during the brew. Biggest one was the wort chiller connection between tubing and copper would slip off. Apparently the heat made the tubing more malleable and just started to slip so I had to hold it on with oven gloves. I quartered the kiwis and mashed them up pretty good and let 1.5g of 160F water soak on it for 45min. The water was a bit sour after wards and not as sweet as I hoped it would be. Other than that all went well and I am looking forward to bottling in a couple weeks. Cheers!

I've had the same thing happen on my immersion chiller. You should be able to find some clamps like the clamps on your chiller at a hardware store. I bought a few and put an extra one on the side that caused the problem. Everything has been fine since.

Congrats on the first brew. Kiwi sounds interesting. Please let us know how it turns out.

oh the excitement of being a new brewer! I remember when I stressed over the small details instead of relaxing.
best of luck to your endeavor.

Update time!

It took a little over a week and a half for the beer to carbonate fully after bottling and I was a bit worried I messed up the carbonation somehow. While it's only my first brew I feel a bit disappointed with it in terms of taste. The nose is wonderful, like fresh baked banana bread. The taste is overly sweet and a bit complex with a bunch of different flavors going on at once. The bitterness doesn't really come through so I think next time I would cut down on the kiwi and put in an extra .25 or .5 ounces of boiling hops.

Here's a picture:(Sorry it's sideways)
photodpi.jpg

Back