Trub-less Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
Been searching the forum, but haven't seen anything exactly on this.
Just brewed an all grain oatmeal stout. Mashed at 155, appeared to hit the efficiency I was looking for, boiled for 60min, got the volume I wanted. Hit gravities, all appeared to be good. But there is seriously almost zero trub. Not in the kettle, not in the fermenter (at least yet). I use an IC and got it down to 75 in about 20 minutes. I've relaed and had several homebrews, just hoping someone has seen this and it worked out? Thanks in advance!

Hmmm. Nothing at all? Did you have a hot and/or cold break? I did a blonde last week that had little trub, but it still almost covered to bottom of the pot.

a cold crash at the end of fermentation should help drop some of it out. It will work out, probably just a cloudy beer if anything. In an oatmeal stout I cant see that been too big of an issue.

I definitely had a hot break, but didn't see any cold. I stirred occasionally while I chilled and figured that it could have been suspended but was surprised when I didn't see anything settling in the carboy a couple hours later.
If the result is possibly just a cloudy beer, I'm not concerned, just wanting to make sure there weren't bigger implications.
Thanks for the replies.

BTW, the last line of my original posts should have read "relaxed and had several homebrews".

If I had to guess I'd say you'll have healthy trub in the carboy when it's all said and done. I did a witbier with flaked wheat and there was massive trub in the FV when I racked to bottling bucket. Those grains have a lot of thick stuff in them.

I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be first time.

b-tone said:
I definitely had a hot break, but didn't see any cold. I stirred occasionally while I chilled and figured that it could have been suspended but was surprised when I didn't see anything settling in the carboy a couple hours later.
If the result is possibly just a cloudy beer, I'm not concerned, just wanting to make sure there weren't bigger implications.
Thanks for the replies.

BTW, the last line of my original posts should have read "relaxed and had several homebrews".

Any reason you stirred the wort while chilling. Are you using a immersion chiller or a plate chiller. It it's a immersion you're best off doing a whirlpool and leaving it alone until it's at pitching temp.

To me it sounds like you put the cold break back into suspension, but it will drop out in the fermenter.

Any reason you stirred the wort while chilling. Are you using a immersion chiller or a plate chiller. It it's a immersion you're best off doing a whirlpool and leaving it alone until it's at pitching temp.

To me it sounds like you put the cold break back into suspension, but it will drop out in the fermenter.

This is what I was thinking. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

I've got an immersion. I don't stir constantly but I do so with the thought of getting more contact/movement around the cold coils. I've done this pretty much for every beer and always get plenty of trub. This one just seems to be an outlier.
As of last night, had some pretty good fermentation activity and starting to get some build up in the bottom. Maybe it's all just gonna fall out after all.

what base malt did you use? IMO it seems that I find that differnet malts produce very different break materials. I am assuming that this is related to the protien content of those malts. However, I have no evidence of this it is just my current hypothesis.

Here's the full grain bill. Guess I just figured that with 2# of oats I might actually get more than usual and there really was basically none. There's only 1.75 oz. of pellets in there, but I've done lower hopped beers and still had plenty of material in the kettle afterwards. Maybe anything to do with the relatively high percentage of specialty/ roasted malts? Still figuring a lot might settle out in the end.

7.00 bs US Pale (Harrington)
2.00 lbs Oats, Flaked
1.50 lbs Munich Malt - 20L
0.75 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 lbs Victory Malt
0.50 lbs Rice Hulls

I appreciate all the responses.

Back