Splitting concentrated mash/wort into two 5gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausnfranz

Reaction score
I have 10gal kettles and want to do two 5gal batches with the same wort, but different hops. Can I just double the grain bill, which I know the 10gal mash tun can hold (OG is 1.064 for 5gal batch), and then split and dilute the wort at boil time to 6gal pre-boil?

Going to be a biiiiit tricky to get it exactly the same, but i think with some clever blending you'll be fine...

I'd advise against simply running the first 5 gallons into one kettle and then the next 5 in to the next kettle, know what i mean?!

In theory I think it would be fine, but you might want to more than double the grain, because I think you might lose some efficiency.

I'd be more worried about the hop flavor, and it all cooking together. Do let us know how it goes though, might be a real winner.

Maybe another way to put it is this - can I plan a grain bill for a 10gal batch (1.065 OG is about 22pds of grain, a 10gal mash tun can hold 27pds of 1.065OG) and then just split the resulting wort into two 5gal batches.

One batch is boiled at a time with different hops because my boil kettle can only accommodate this batch size. Two different beers to understand hop tastes.

I have never done it but seems like it would work. Its the same thing as doing 2 separate mashes except you are doing it in one step instead of two. Just make sure that you mix all the runnings together good before splitting into the 2 5 gal batches.

Latest posts

Back