First All grain --I have some questions after my brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
First let me say sorry if this has been ask before and I did do a search and was not satisfied with the answers I found.

My questions are as follows:

1.) how would I figure my efficiency and where in beersmith would I enter it?
some info on my brew. I boiled 6.5 gal. and after the 60 min boil I had 5.25 gal (instead of 5.50 gal that I was shooting for) go into the fermenter with a gravity of 1.053 (corrected for temp. of 74), the original gravity I was shooting for was 1.051. As for what the gravity was before boil, I forgot to get that one.

2.)With the amount of loss due to boil off of 1.25 gal. (Standard turkey fryer pot of 7.5 gal) how would I figure the the % of evaporation and where would I enter it into beersmith so it would give me a more accurate boil for the next batch.

the recipe I had done is here

if y'all need any more information please let me know and I will give it to you to the best of my knowledge.

thanks

You can simply adjust your batch size to 5.25 and enter the O.G. you measured. Keep adjusting the brewhouse efficiency until the estimated O.G. matches the one you entered, and you'll have your efficiency.

I measure my pre-boil gravity (and first runnings), but it's not necessary unless you are using the length of the boil to adjust for missing your target.

Once you enter the recipe into beersmith, then you click the "Brewhouse efficiency" button and enter 1.051 under "actual OG", then at the bottom you can input your volume (5.25) into the "Actual Batch Volume" and it will show your efficiency on the bottom right side under "Efficiency as calculated from actual volume". Incidently yours was 73.28%, I already had the recipe in Beersmith since I brewed this yesterday so I just swapped my numbers with yours

thanks for the replies joety and MN_Jay.

how about the evaporation rate? Anyone know about how to figure and where to make the changes in beersmith?

Its under the equipment, choose details and you can change it there.

Latest posts

Back