Fix this leak???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to seal this leak?

image-1224817112.jpg

If your attempts at reseating the lid are not working and the leak is always at that point, it could be the metal lip on the inside being malformed, in that rubber ring can't seal because the lip is dented. This has happened to a few of my kegs. Often reseating works, but you can try to reform it if it looks bent. On one of them I had to double up on the ring so there was more pressure being applied to the seal.

i can't tell from the pic exactly where your leak is, but I'm guessing it's around the big main seal?

I have had some luck simply turning the lid around 180 degrees...

or

shim up the little 'feet' with something - I have used cardboard.

But if its as leginx mentioned, and the lip/sealing surface is deformed, you may have to get a little medieval on it, but be careful not to make it worse...tiny, tiny adjustments with a sheetmetal body working tool might do it... but I would recommend you find a pro for that...although I like hammers and would do it myself first...but thats me, and I don't recommend it.

It looks like there's a hole in the stainless steel. I'd get one of those little mirrors on a telescoping handle to look at the inside top of the keg and see what's what.

That looks like it's outside of the lid, under the rubber? If that's the case, there's a hole in the keg - maybe at the top seam? Good luck, getting a food safe and cleanable seal on a hole like that may be tough, may not be worth it.

Sorry excellent quality photo from the next next next best phone ever made, sorry.

But it is right on the edge is the sheet metal an the rubber. I was contemplating a rubber glue, since it seems to be a pin size hole from what I can see.

Looks like you need to do some careful rubber removal with a Dremel. Once you find it, I'd guess using the soldering technique found on the forum for soldering ss might save it.

If you don't want to weld it, JB Weld is a two part epoxy that is safe to use after it's cured... it's a GREAT product and you can find it at an auto parts store. Personally, this is the way I'd go... Just clean the inner surface and scuff with wet/dry paper to give some tooth. You don't need to be neat with it as long as you keep it away from the seal area.

Agree on rubber removal. Make sure you see the actual leak spot instead of potentially just a spot where the co2 is escaping from under the rubber.

Oddly I left it and came back an hour later and retested with CO2 on it...no leak. Regulator dial isn't responding as it should so it may have been just way too much pressure....as i turned screw it was bleeding out of the release valve.

i don't know. moved my Imperial IPA out into another keg to be safe. looks like christmas may involve pressure testing and checking kegs.

Latest posts

Back