Brewing Etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvinfan1

Reaction score
I brew with two other guys on a weekly basis. The three of us are the primary financial supporters, taking turns buying supplies and sharing the cost of equipment. But we have several visitors who come by on a not-so-regular basis. We always have plenty of beer and food on hand. The normal request is for anyone who comes by to bring some food, but I was wondering if any of you out there that brew in a group have a different arrangement. In other words, how does your beer group function?

Interesting arrangement, I wonder how many other people do something similar? Maybe you could attach a poll.

I don't have a group right now, but in California, it was myself, another brewer and his GF. We brewed and did BBQ, she made side dishes.

I only brew with two other people (excluding homebrew day).

With one person we each use our own equipment and supplies and just split the snack and drink bill for the day.

The other person we split the mead costs as even as possible. He gets the honey and yeast, I tend to supply the bottling stuff and additions. We then alternate location between batch.

I've never really thought too much about it. It works itself out. If we're doing a BIG get together with spousal units and squids, then I let SWMBO organize the food. :D

I think asking someone to bring a munchie isn't out of line, though.

I guess I need to get some brewing friends, I have always brewed by myself except for the few times that my brother helped me out, and then he helped out with some of the supplies, and I always got the food.

I brewed by myself until I my buddy and I decided to open a brewery. We've been brewing together for a little over a year now. We've assembled a nice little system and brew 10 gallon batches.

I still brew by myself in my little condo during weekdays or on weekends when we're not able to get together.

We usually will alternate buying ingredients and we've both purchased individual parts of the system.

Same goes for beer and food. We try to alternate or both pitch in. It seems to work out.

I have a couple of buddies who brew 30 gallon AG batches together. They invite me and a few others over on brew day. They are the ones who turned me on to homebrewing in the first place, so when I go over I always take 6 or 8 of my own brews to share. I chip in for pizza or subs or whatever for lunch. If work needs to be done I'll help out (e.g., dump and rinse MLT). Its pretty laid back and there are no problems with moochers.

it usually works out that I brew 50/50 solo and with another brewer, usually Scottd13. I have known him for a long time so it isn't a problem. We split our 10 gallons batches for ingredients and use whatever equipment is needed. His SWMBO makes some killer desserts so no complaints from me!

Got started brewing with a buddy so we split the cost of start up equipment and our first few batches. Hes out of state at college right now so the equipment stays with me. Whenever hes in town well split the cost of ingredients and the batch for the most part. Brewing with a friend kicks a$$!

Back