90 minute or 60 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a tripel partial mash.lash Im using three pound pilsner and the rest is malt extract. Do I need to boil 90 or 60 minutes for the of malt I'm using. Thanks. Happy weekend all.

For that beer and that much extract 60 min is good... Have fun, and keep an eye on the fermentation temps...

Not sure about partial mashes. But if doing a beer with pilsner malt as the base malt, boil for 90 minutes. Pilsner malt has higher levels of SMM which causes DMS. Because of the higher levels of SMM in pilsner malt compared to 2row, it's advised to boil 90 minutes. DMS is volitle and driven off during the boil.

With that being said, assuming that you are brewing 5 gallons, 3 lbs of pilsner is a percentage of the fermentables, especially a higher gravity brew like a triple. So 60 minutes you maybe fine.

I mash 5lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water for an hour. But as for pilsen malts,I try to use one that doesn't need a protein rest for clarity. A little super moss wil take care of that anyway.

With only 3 lbs you should be fine with 60 min.

I've done a couple different brews with small amounts of pilsner and 60 works fine. Yoppers fizzy yellow beer, has 3lbs and there is no dms.

Back