Kolsh Lagering Temp...too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My kolsh fermented in primary for two weeks at 62 degrees like a champion. 1.051 SG and 1.010 FG. So I racked it to secondary and stuck it in the garage a few days ago. Well, now the coldest weather in 100 years is here and it's -30 or worse outside...but my garage holds about 25 degrees. I know that is cold, very cold but i have been checking and my yeast has dropped out like a rock...and there is no ice at all anywhere on the surface of the beer. I have covered my carboy with blankets to help..so I should be OK.....

I am just wondering if there are any detrimental or positive effects to lagering VERY cold......like pushing the envelope to almost freezing it? I hope I don't ruin it! It tasted great after two weeks primary. I am also hoping that I have enough yeast to bottle carb still in suspension after 2-3 weeks.

Not sure about the bottling part but otherwise it will be fine. I bet it will be super clean. I have been using a heating pad with blankets to keep my ales warm. I bought the type with a shutoff timer for about $20 and it works really well.

For lagering, just above freezing is recommended. If you have it ice-free, they I think you're golden.

You want to not to freeze, thats #1.

My Kolsch is in my garage as well and it went close to 20-25 and I think it should be fine.
Just keep an eye on it.

when they say it is best to lager at "just above freezing" that is very confusing to me. The freezing point of water is 32 degrees, but without question the freezing report of beer or any other solution can be different. So I am going to go ahead and assume that it is best to get as close to the freezing point of the beer as possible and keep it there for weeks.

I was hoping to have this beer ready for a super bowl party, so I may only lager it for 2-3 weeks before I prime, bottle and bring it up to temp.

This raises a question that i have. Do you think it may be beneficial to put standard ales through a lagering process? I was thinking about trying a Maibock or octoberfest style beer using kolsh yeast or nottingham yeast, fermenting long and cold and then lagering for 2 months or so. Is this a good idea or a waste of time? :off:

The way my fridges are set up all my ales "lager" while waiting to be tapped, It will clear the ales so not a waste of time if you want them clearer.

As far as freezing it has happened to me a few times, just warm it back up slowly before bottling or kegging. The whole point is the cold settles out more solids making it cleaner. If it freezes you just slowly melt it (like under 40 degrees) so the solids can't redissolve into the solution

Back