Top cropping one beer to finish a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a dual brew day Friday (triple if you count my friends simul-brew). I'm starting with a Berliner Weisse then following that with a HoTD Adam clone.

I'm going to get the Berliner Weisse started on a Wyeast 3191-PC pack from earlier this summer without any aeration on a no boil beer (just pasteurized by raising to 210). I suspect the yeast in that pack might be hurting a bit, so I'm intending to give them a boost by top cropping from the Adam clone which is using 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast.

Is grabbing a cup of the krausen from the other beer do anything positive. I would toss this in about 3 - 4 days after it starts to finish out the Weisse.

Should I be very afraid of throwing krausen from a dark-peat-smoked-malt in a SRM 2 beer? :)

1 cup (assuming it is all liquid, which it probably is not) from a 5 gallon batch is 1.25%. So you will be taking about 1% of the malt and tossing it in the Weisse.

If you used 8 ozs in thye first brew, you would effectively be using 0.1 ozs in the weisse. No effect.

Latest posts

Back