Good Warm Weather Beers, Good Cold Weather Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
I'm getting myself set up for the next batch this summer, once the first hefe gets done... My gear is set up in our basement, which is finished, and which is partially aboveground (we're on a steepish hill, one side is submerged, back is windows and a door at ground level.)

In the summer, it doesn't get above mid-70s, and in the winter it's in the mid to low-sixties, from what I can tell.

What would you recommend as the best (mostly extract) beers to make during that winter season temp, and during the prevailing summer temps? I don't have time/money/space to make temperature control a realistic option, so I'm trying to use the time of year to my advantage...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm hoping to find appropriate conditions to do some simple versions of a Wee Heavy or 80/- Scotch, an Altbier, IPA, and Saison along with some wheat beers over the balance of the summer/late summer season. The WH, Alt, and Saison will probably have to wait for winter or fall as our "cave" reaches the right temps.

superslomo, I haven't been brewing much lately but I decided to stop in the forum.
I saw your post and here I am. I know you said you don't have much resources but I use brew belts as my temperature controller in the winter. I had some stuck fermentations due to cold temps before I started using these. Anyway perhaps this might be a stocking stuffer Idea:) I used it to unfreeze a pipe this winter worked well.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brew-belt.html

I'm recommending Bert Grants Fresh Hop Ale. It's miraculously delicious:)

Good Luck, I'm curious what some other responses might be:) VirginiaWolf

Back