Alaskan Smoked Porter - Now or Later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I've kept a bottle of 2008 Alaskan Smoked Porter in my fridge since, well 2008. I just picked up a bottle of the 2010. I was considering getting a package of chicken wings, opening each, and tasting them side by side to see how the older one differs. What do you think?. Should I give into temptation or keep both and wait longer? The label says, "enjoy it now or several years from now", so I'm torn. I would like to see how the newer smoked beer compares to an older one, but then again i could wait another couple years and compare 3 bottles. Mmm....

Open it now and compare, and let us know. Which reminds me - My wife and I have started stopping by the brewery on the way home from Costco every Saturday :D - I will have a sample of smoked porter this weekend. I went a few months ago and tasted the smoked porter, it was good enough to make me want more. They allow you six samples per visit - had an ESB and an Oatmeal stout last weekend. The ESB was fairy good. :rockin:

Have you had the beer fresh prior? If not, there's really no point in sitting on either one as you won't have anything to compare to. Pull up a chair and grab a notebook. Save the chicken for afterward :rockin:

I think it's great both fresh or aged. Oldest ones I've had were 13 and 16 years old and fantastic.

I'd save the '08 personally until you have some more vintages to line up.

Don't eat chicken wings while trying to sample beers head to head, please :) This is a job for your run of the mill pale ale, not that there is anything wrong with that.

+1 on the chicken wings later. As hot as you can get them please.

I would say go ahead and do it so you have a fresh sample.

I don't really have a very good palate for pairing beer/wine with food, but the single time where I had a pairing "aha!" moment was when I just happened to be eating chicken wings and happened to be trying my first smoked porter. They are a match made in heaven. The smoky flavor goes very well with the wings and the body of the porter dulls the spiciness clearing the way for the next wing.

So whenever I do try these beers, I will indeed eat the wings with my smoked porters - of course not until after I've completed my analysis.

Back