Year old grime and bacteria in Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidey

Reaction score
So... I recently found two carboys in my basement that I had misplaced and not cleaned properly. I'm fairly inclined to just throw them out since they have black grime in them (I'm guessing bacteria), but I just wanted to put it out there to you guys to see if I can rescue them with a VERY thorough cleaning with a TON of PBW and starsan.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pictures would be awesome. ;)

Assuming things are 'okay'
Black grime sounds like a mold of sorts to me, not bacteria.
Careful 'soaking' in PBW in both containers, as it can cause dammage to both glass & plastic if left too long. I'd suggest make a little stronger than normal batch of PBW for the glass carboy, & scrub w/ a carboy brush. As for the Better Bottle, as long as the plastic isn't comprimized, fill part way with PBW (regular strength) & throw in a wash cloth. Put a solid bung in the top, and either rock the carboy on its side or shake vigorously 'forever'.

not sure on the plastic, but a 3 day soak in oxyclean took krausen off of a carboy i found in the back of the closet that had been there for at least 5 years.

No experience with the BB's but the glass should clean right up. I score most of my Carboys used form yardsales and they are ALWAYS disgusting. A good PBW soak cleans them nicely.

Rinse the better bottle out with water about 120 degrees get out as much as you can, then put a scoop of oxiclean and fill to the top with warm water. Leave that for a few hours or over night, empty, rinse and repeat. You might and to put a couple of quarts of water and a nylon scrub cloth inside and swirl it around.

I love these things
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WOJKLQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back