Misc grains, what to make????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koryb

Reaction score
I got misc. grains that a friend gave me, and I am not sure what style of beer to brew with them, so looking for a little help, here is what is the list:

.5lbs dark chocolate malt us briess 420l
.5lbs 2 row briess crystal 40l
.5lbs 2 row crystal 60 great western

I am still an extract brewer,( but getting my all grain stuff together) so any help with a style and recipe ideas to make an extract brew is appreciated.

Pair that with enough pale extract (does 6 lbs sound about right?) and you'll have a pretty good brown ale. I like American browns, so I like a pretty large bittering charge with quite a few additions of Cascade towards the end of the boil. But that parts completely up to you as far as what you enjoy.

8 lbs Pale LME
.5 lbs C60
.5 lbs C40
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

.75 Cascade 60
.75 Cascade 25
.50 Cascade 5

Chico yeast (001/1056/US-05)

That'll get you a nice American Brown :)

Thanks guys that sounds pretty damn good!!! Only issue is all the grains have been mixed and crushed, so I would have to stick with it all, do you think that migh be too dark for the brown ale?

Koryb said:
Thanks guys that sounds pretty damn good!!! Only issue is all the grains have been mixed and crushed, so I would have to stick with it all, do you think that migh be too dark for the brown ale?

Ehh, just do it ;) I'm sure it'll come out just fine.

Back