Brewing Clubs in NW Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechbd

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was part of a brewing club in NW Houston. I just moved to the Heights from Montana and was looking for a group of brewers. I have been brewing for 8 years or so. I do both AG and PM brews of a variety of styles. Anyone know of any clubs and/or shops in this area?

I'm +100 miles out of Houston but I do know about Del Falco's Home Brew on the south side off the loop. I have been there two or three times.
Can't help as far as a club but on the Del Falco web site, there are some listed.

welcome to Texas.

I think you'll be looking for the Foam Rangers. They meet once a month at De Falco's. I'm not a member but I've been seriously considering it. I live in NW Houston too (further out than you). And buy all my specialty grains and other non-internet purchases there. I've yet to go all grain or I would probably just buy everything I need there. You can always google map De Falco's but it is on Stella Link just South of Braeswood. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

P.S. If you like brewery tours the Houston area has No Label in Katy, St. Arnolds just north of downtown, and Southern Star in Conroe. Kreuz Creek in Sugarland will be doing tours in the near future. Welcome to Texas!

well homebrew clubs there is the kgb northern part foam rangers southern part mashronaunts are south east and Cane Island Alers west houston/katy.

I was wondering if anyone was part of a brewing club in NW Houston. I just moved to the Heights from Montana and was looking for a group of brewers. I have been brewing for 8 years or so. I do both AG and PM brews of a variety of styles. Anyone know of any clubs and/or shops in this area?

Welcome to the Heights, I've been in Houston three years and in the Heights for the last two. I'm a member of a couple of the groups just because I keep meeting people from the different groups and getting invited to their meetings/brewdays.

The Foam Rangers - Meet at Defalcos Homebrew Shop, which is on the south west corner of 610, once a month. They host a big homebrew competition call the Dixie Cup in October every year. Younger club, rowdy meetings.

Mashtronauts - In the Clearlake/NASA area. Meet once a month on Tuesdays. Took my BJCP class with them this year and it was fantastic, tons of very smart people in their organization. The meetings are focused on learning a certain topic then sharing homebrew with everyone else.

KGB - Is the group in North Houston/Spring. Meet once a month and the location changes, the meetings at Southern Star Brewery are great. More country boys in this club if that is your scene.

Beer bars close by - Petrol Station, Flying Saucer, Liberty Station. Onion/Cedar creek are great if it is nice out.

I live in Willowbrook/Cypress area and I try to brew at least twice a month. If anybody in the area is intersted in brewing together, Just let me know.

NW Houston guys - we'll be having a little get together at Backyard Grill (Jones rd @ West Rd) at 6:30 on Thursday March 1 for those interested in maybe starting a group out this way. I've seen from BBQ, QBBC, and a couple other guys here that there's some interest in this part of town. So we figured, lets get together, have a couple of beers and see what hatches.

Post up if you can make it and I'll make sure the Backyard guys set us a table big enough.

see ya there!

anonymousbrew said:
NW Houston guys - we'll be having a little get together at Backyard Grill (Jones rd @ West Rd) at 6:30 on Thursday March 1 for those interested in maybe starting a group out this way. I've seen from BBQ, QBBC, and a couple other guys here that there's some interest in this part of town. So we figured, lets get together, have a couple of beers and see what hatches.

Post up if you can make it and I'll make sure the Backyard guys set us a table big enough.

see ya there!

I'm in Oak Forest and might be able to meet up this week. How many people have committed to meet up at Backyard Grill?

I drive home from on Jones...hmmm. maybe I will stay late and come over.

BTW I wouldn't mind doing a brew club thing on the real NW Houston side.

Also, defalco has nice things, but when I went in there no one even said hi. I go to brew it yourself. I will check out the humble store soon.

I also go to Brew- It- Yourself on 45 they have Better prices and also better service. I go to defalcos only If I am brewing at my friends place in the heights. I will be there on Thursday. I get off at 5:30 that day so it should work out perfectly!

Count me in for the Backyard Grill meeting. Let me know where you guys will be so I'm not just wandering around like a fool.

I wonder if they'll have some Endeavour on tap.

Mark at the backyard grill has a table set for us. Just ask the girls at the front where the homebrewers are. 6:30 and I'm sure he'll have some good stuff on tap!

Lookin forward to it!

Samples from the first meet up:

Rahr & Sons Angry Goat
St Arnold Spring Bock
Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter
Karbach Pontificator
Ranger Creek La Bestia Aimable
Independence Brewing Stash IPA
Karbach Weisa Versa
No Label Ridgeback

Samples from the first meet up:

Rahr & Sons Angry Goat
St Arnold Spring Bock
Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter
Karbach Pontificator
Ranger Creek La Bestia Aimable
Independence Brewing Stash IPA
Karbach Weisa Versa
No Label Ridgeback

that was fun. Good group of guys on the first meeting for NW Side!

yes - we need to!
this week is crazy with easter etc. And i have the houston beer weeks committee meeting next saturday -

i've been waiting to brew until my conical gets in, but its not supposed to ship till next week.

whats everybody else look like?

I agree we need to do something, but work has been keeping me very occupied.

My brewing has been on a temporary stand still. I do not have a functional fermentation chamber. Anybody have any advise on what I can do locally with a broken standup freezer? Does anyone want it?

Short notice, but I'll be brewing an Agave Wit tonight and if anyone wants to come hang out while I do, you're welcome. Just let me know and I'll reply with directions. Live just off the Beltway and West Rd.

Also, what say we get the Cy-Fairmenters back together tomorrow night (it was Thirst Fursday last month when we met at the Backyard Grill). Same time, same place? Or closer in (Petrol Station) or further out (Rockwell Tavern & Grill)??

...Neal

I'm in Oak Forest and might be able to meet up this week. How many people have committed to meet up at Backyard Grill?

I live in Oak Forest also. I am a very beginner and would love to meet up and learn to make my frist home brew batch.

Hi -- I'm a writer for the Houston Chronicle and am looking to do a story on home brewers in the Cy-Fair area -- would anyone be able to do a phone interview?? My email is [email protected]

Well did yall ever get the club together? I am in the Tomball area and would like to join a local club. Btw I am also a refrigeration tech...

Frige said:
Well did yall ever get the club together? I am in the Tomball area and would like to join a local club. Btw I am also a refrigeration tech...

Not that I know of.

Nothing formal yet. We had four of us attend an initial get-together a few months ago, but we haven't seemed to be able to agree on a time to do that again. I use an e-mail list to announce when I'm brewing and always welcome visitors to come over for that. If you want to be added to my list, let me know.

Probably a Facebook "group" might be the best way to set up a convenient method of communicating with each other. Seems to be working well for the Katy group (Cane Island Alers). Any suggested names for a NW group besides Cy-Fairmenters??

nscott said:
Nothing formal yet. We had four of us attend an initial get-together a few months ago, but we haven't seemed to be able to agree on a time to do that again. I use an e-mail list to announce when I'm brewing and always welcome visitors to come over for that. If you want to be added to my list, let me know.

Probably a Facebook "group" might be the best way to set up a convenient method of communicating with each other. Seems to be working well for the Katy group (Cane Island Alers). Any suggested names for a NW group besides Cy-Fairmenters??

Facebook group sounds great, let me know if something happens with that. I like that name too

There is a Home Brew Club in the Humble/Kingwood area called Rogue Brewers. They meet at Backyard Home Brewers on the last Thursday of every month. Actually this coming Thursday Rogue Brewers will have their home brew meeting at Southern Star Brewery. The bus/van will pick up everyone at Backyard Home Brewers at 630. Everyone is welcome to join.

That sounds cool. I live in the Tomball area, could I just meet yall there? It would be a long trip for me just to get on a bus to come back the same direction....LOL

Sure can, send Preston an email at [email protected] and tell him you would like to go, however you're driving there. Ask him what time will it start.
I plan on making the meeting, my name is Adam. I'm co owners of Backyard Home Brewers...

image-1416939956.jpg

Wall of Bombshell...

nscott said:
While it's not officially a club yet, a few of us NW brewers have met once and we've set up a Facebook Group, Cy-Fairmenters, to serve as a means of communicating. Check it out and join in if you're in the greater NW Houston area....

http://www.facebook.com/groups/277464055703954/

Well I hope you accept my join request.

Hope this goes somewhere.

tom_gamer said:
Well I hope you accept my join request.

Hope this goes somewhere.

If anyone is looking for a spot to hold their home brew meetings my HB shop is always open. We do have a home brew club, more of a Coalition of Multiple home brew clubs that meets there on the last Thursday for every month.

Not sure if you heard of the new Craft Beer/Home Brew talk radio show called " Drink of Ages", the President (Rogue Brewers) and co-onwer (Backyard Home Brewers) host Drink of Ages on Saturday night from 7pm to 8pm on FM 92. Great show!

Back