total newb help. need advie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttk420

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish stout 2 Sundays ago from an extract kit with specialty grains. I took a gravity reading at about 95 degrees because I could not get the temp down the day of the brew. To the best of my newb skills, it read 1.04. I got immediate action when I pitched the yeast and the krausen was up to the lid within 1.5 days. I just now checked the gravity with my sanitized hydrometer. and I believe it was at 1.01, which according to the hyrodometer, it says it is ready. Am I on track? I plan on leaving it in the primary for at least 2 more weeks then getting it into the corny for 2 weeks of carbonation. Did I read the hydrometer correctly? I thank you all for everything I have read and learned thanks to this forum. I can't wait for the final results and hope for the best. By the way, I gave it a test taste, and it was not sour, nor off tasting in any way. I am pumped. :ban:

1.01 what?

There's a pretty big difference between 1.011 and 1.019.

Also reading at 95 degrees is too high to get an accurate reading.

Just leave it alone for a few weeks. You'll be fine.

Hydrometers are calibrated to 60 degrees F. If your beer is warmer or colder than that you can use this chart to calculate the reading. Gravity Correction Calculator
It appears that you are on track. The yeast variety will determine how far the gravity will go. Irish Ale yeast will usually ferment down to 1.010-1.014. So you should be fine. Take another gravity reading in 3 days...if it hasn't gone down you can transfer to bottles or keg.

Since I am a newb, I would say it was a solid 1.04 and a solid 1.01. I had some foam in the hydrometer so it truly was guess-timation. I did spin the hydrometer as instructed.

Wait for the foam to go down. Mine usually don't take very long. Then,look at the 2 deg increments between the #'s. You see the 1.xxx,the 10,20,30,etc. Then,the lil lines are 2,4,6,etc. So,for example you see1.010 mark,the liquid line 2 marks below that. You'd read 1.014. Just makin sure that's clear.
And thanx for the correction calc. Easy to use!

Latest posts

Back