Kegerator Building Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
I finally got all the pieces to do my first build. Unfortunately my construction background is somewhat limited. I will be putting 2 holes into the door of a sanyo 4912. What type of bit would be best to ensure I don't mangle the plastic? Is there anything else I should take into consideration before drilling or any advice overall?

thanks for your help

I would go with a hole cutter if I were you. Drill a small pilot hole dead center, and have at it. You will have jagged edges with a spade bit. I would definitely add a piece of wood for backing to support your shanks (guessing you are putting faucets directly on the door). Hope this helps! Post your build/final pictures :mug:

I would go with a hole cutter if I were you. Drill a small pilot hole dead center, and have at it. You will have jagged edges with a spade bit. I would definitely add a piece of wood for backing to support your shanks (guessing you are putting faucets directly on the door). Hope this helps! Post your build/final pictures :mug:

Thanks, I will go with the hole cutter. I have a not super powerful cordless drill. Think this will be enough or would I need the rpms of a corded drill? mostly I just wanna make sure I don't screw up the fridge door. Good advice on the piece of wood.

Also, is a 1" the correct diameter for the holes? Is it necessary to use any kind of sealant?

1" will work fine. There will be some slack since the shank diameters are actually 7/8" or 15/16" (i don't remember exactly), but it won't be any big deal. You can use silicone to seal, but it really won't matter.

on my kegerator, i used a 1" hole saw and used aluminum tape to line the inside of the hole to prevent the foam from crumbling. the aluminum tape used up the extra slack in the hole and the shank fit perfectly.

1" will work fine. There will be some slack since the shank diameters are actually 7/8" or 15/16" (i don't remember exactly), but it won't be any big deal. You can use silicone to seal, but it really won't matter.

on my kegerator, i used a 1" hole saw and used aluminum tape to line the inside of the hole to prevent the foam from crumbling. the aluminum tape used up the extra slack in the hole and the shank fit perfectly.

Thats a really good idea! Thanks for that tip.

2 3/4 hole saw from lowes; I used aluminum tape as well (was going to get HVAC but it was more expensive). Post your results in the 'Show us your kegerator' thread!

SUCCESS!!

I will post up some pics this weekend.. Now I gotta figure out a way to let my beer age before it gets drank..

Back