My first infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGarner

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of Graham cracker ale on Wednesday. I noticed a very thin film on top of the beer that appeared like it may have something to do with the graham crackers so I didn't freak out. The smell was very strong (the beer was supposed to end up at about 4.5 Abv and ended up at 7 Abv so I thought that may have something to do with it.) So I bottled it up and posted my situation in the recipe section to see if it is normal for the recipe. It turns out the film is not, and question were asked about the specific smells which I could not really remember or identify. I decided to pop open a bottle today to see if I could describe the smells.(Its been bottled for 4 days) The bottle just foamed up when I opened it and spewed foam for about a minute. I have never opened a bottle after 4 days so I do not know if this is normal. I would have to describe the smell as medicinal and the taste sort of alcoholish. I am thinking this is infection but I am hoping for some input. If I am going to have bottle bombs I want to dump it. As for my process...It fermented for one week at 60 degrees ambient and then I let it come up to room temp (about 78) for 2.5 more weeks (I have done this with my last 8 brews with great success) The fermenting bucket was brand new..I rinsed it out and sanitized it as always....just cant figure out when it would have got infected.. thanks for any help

well, it could have been from the graham crackers, did you do anything with them or just toss them into the beer or boil them or what?

if there was a film, then it was most likely an infection. i'd definitely be concerned about bottle bombs if you got the gusher after 4 days in the bottle. gushers are another sign of infection. if they don't taste good, personally, i'd dump it, but others may try to salvage a few.

If you open a home brew without chilling it 1st, they normally will foam over in my experience. I would chill one for 24 hours and taste it...

I crushed the graham crackers and put them in the mash. The film was very fine...if the beer was lighter like a pale or amber, I dont think I would have even noticed it. I have searched the forums and found that opening a 4 day old bottled beer at room temps is going to foam over so I am not going to freak out just yet..I am brewing up an octoberfest ale right now and enjoying a caramel amber. I don't really have high hopes for this graham cracker ale but for now I am going to give it time (cover the cases in plastic just in case) and RDWAHAHB. Thanks guys...cheers:mug:

Any chance the film is from the oils in the crackers? IIRC, those things have a bunch of butter in them, which would cause a slick to show up in the fermenter, I would think.

Any chance the film is from the oils in the crackers? IIRC, those things have a bunch of butter in them, which would cause a slick to show up in the fermenter, I would think.

I was about to say... the film could be from the oils. My Belgian Chocolate Stout has a nice oil film on it in the primary from the Belgian cocoa powder. :mug:

Back