adding ground cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I want to experiment with the apple graff recipe and up the beer and lower the apple juice to about a 50/50 split and add some cinnamon to it. I want to put some ground cinnamon in the boil but no idea where to start as far as how much. Also would some vanilla help the cinnamon taste at all?

A big problem with using spices is that you never know exactly how potent the spices are. Are the old, new or low quality? I great way to dial in your spice flavor is to make a tincture. Steep some cinnamon (or any other spice) in some 100 proof vodka for a week or so. Then at packaging time, pull a small measured sample and add your tincture to taste. When you reach the right flavor profile, scale up the dose for your batch. This will really cut down on the variations between batches and give you total control over the beer. Just adding spices can lead to over spicing the beer. It's easier to fix if you want to add more than to try to dilute by blending beers if there's too much. There are lots of threads on making tinctures.

Back