any vinyl fans out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptain_karma

Reaction score
Anyone here collect/listen to vinyl? If so, what is the pride of your collection?

I have nothing that is mint condition (I like to listen to my records), and as far as I know, I have no first presses.

I have a near mint (eight plays) second press of White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground, and a near mint (five plays, never checked the pressing) of Little Creatures by The Talking Heads.

My favorite records are much more worn though. I have a Sgt Pepper's complete with the cut-outs insert that I got from my parents, and I can never hear the song "Time" from Dark Side of the Moon without anicipating the skip on my worn-@ss vinyl. It just doesn't sound right any other way.

My favorite of all though, no matter what pressing, no matter how worn, I would throw away my brewery and start over again before I gave up my Velvet Underground Live in '69.

I've got about 300 LP's i listen to on a regular basis. Pride and joys aside from albums i get at the concert? I have The Devil Makes three album signed, and Rock in Rio by Iron Maiden signed. I have the Original Darkside of the moon and Thriller albums...

I have over 400 LPs from the '70s/'80s (mostly '70s).

They have only been played once. When I opened an LP I would record it to cassette. They've never been played again. They are pristine. Some of them are in plastic folders and all include the posters that came with them.

I'm sure I have several picture disks too.

I did do a foolish thing once in '78...I sold a guy the Beatles White Album...on white vinyl...:eek:

While I'm not exactly a "vinyl collector," I do have a few hundred albums, simply because I purchased them before the advent of the compact disk. Mostly classic rock...The Who, Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix, etc. They are seldom played. :(

Last year I even moved them upstairs to save space, which makes giving them a spin even less likely. Still, I can't bring myself to get rid of the old Technics.

homebrewer_99 said:
I have over 400 LPs from the '70s/'80s (mostly '70s).

They have only been played once. When I opened an LP I would record it to cassette. They've never been played again. They are pristine. Some of them are in plastic folders and all include the posters that came with them.

I'm sure I have several picture disks too.

Not a huge collection, but same here, played once, then onto cassette. Some have been played again to go onto CD. All in plastic sleaves. Some classic 70's stuff, and then a bunch of New Wave and Punk. I've got a whole lot of Devo, Blondie, Elvis Costello, XTC, DK's, Talking Heads, Cramps. A bunch are Euro imports.

I have a few hundred also. A couple of my favorites are ZZ Top's first album titled easliy enough "ZZ Top's First Album" and the Grateful Dead's Shakedown Street. Every time me and SWMBO listen to our records the Dead is the first one followed by ZZ. :mug: Good times!

SD

I have a "hand me down" collection of vinyl from my parents. Some good stuff (beatles, white vinyl (IIRC) white album, Elvis), alot not so much (Barbara Steisand, Rod Mcewan).

I don't have a player tho'. There just arent enough records in there that I care to listen to. But I still hold onto them. I figure someday I'll get a cheap player with a digital output and record them to disc.

I love vinyl, I dont know how many I have maybe 100+ but currently I am between turntables, so I havent listened to any in a while. None of them are mint condition either.

I am a big fan of Elvis Costello and Steely Dan and have quite a few records of each, those would probably be my favorites.

I've got a 12" picture disk of Bauhaus' "Bela Legosi's Dead", and another of their Ziggy Stardust cover. Both of those are cherished in my collection.

I think the one that I'll always pause at when I thumb through the collection though is "Double Fantasy", John Lennon and Yoko Ono. I was a huge Beatles fan as a kid in the 70s, and I had worn out all my Dad's LPs, so I got a copy of this album the first week it was released. Just a couple weeks later John was murdered. I was only 12 at the time, but I was devastated by the news. Funny thing is I really never listened to the album after that, just paused at it while I looked for other recordings...

mr_stimey said:
I forgot to mention the entire Air Supply collection
Oh yeah, I assumed that was a given. ETA: this is sarcasm, the previous post isn't, just to clarify...

My good friend growing up has pretty much every Led Zeppelin Album on vinyl in existence. That and a myriad of other stuff. He literally has walls of cassettes from live shows, floor to ceiling stacked one atop the other. Each wall is usually a different artist depending on how much he likes them. The Zeppelin (his favorite) collection was probably for the cassettes 10' long x 6' high. That and he also had other stuff like Amazing Spider Man #1, etc. Caaraaazzyyy. I remember, he'd blow like several hundred bucks every time we'd go into a comic or music store.

Me, I don't have any :D

About 3 years ago. I bought a table and built a DIY tube phono pre. My meager collection quickly grew to about 1,000 LPs, most of them bought used. Aside from the thrifts, there are some excellent sources for used vinyl in SoCal. Of course there is always ePay for something you just gotta to have.

I've gotten pretty anal about cleaning the records; 3 types of fluid and 4 different brushes. I also DIY'd a vacuum cleaning machine. This machine cost about $20 in parts and cleans just as well as the $500 units. Seriously.

As for the LPs, most of them are not collector's items. I do however, have about 1/2 dozen first pressing Blue Notes, and a bunch of 10" jazz. Most of the collection is jazz or classical.

Check out the Vinyl Asylum. www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Klainmeister said:
I have The Devil Makes three album signed,

Devil Makes Three....Solid stuff.

I'm just starting my vinyl collection, ive got a Simon and Garfunkel live album. Some solid reggae, Some Beatles..........I think any kind of music sounds way better on vinyl. I will never buy music on Cd or especially Itunes. It just doesn't possess that warm, organic sound or feeling. In my opinion, of course.

I buy as much new music as I can on vinyl (you typically get a CD or download code included with this). Recent purchases/current favorites:

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
REM - Accelerate

Gang of Four - Entertainment!

One of the best albums of all time.

I just picked up a USB turntable. Not I just have to find the time to transfer.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
Gang of Four - Entertainment!

One of the best albums of all time.

I just picked up a USB turntable. Not I just have to find the time to transfer.

Forrest
Total agreement on that one, I love that album.

Did you get one of the ION/Numark USB units? I'm curious to see how those work. Costco had them a few weeks ago for $99. I can't help regret not picking one up.

Back