is it infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
I brewed a brewers best Kölsch a few weeks ago and bottled on monday or tuesday this week. All the bottles are good and clear except 1 which is slightly cloudy, looks to have a layer of material on the bottom of the bottle and some bubbles/foam at the neck. Is this bottle a goner?

Are you sure the "layer of material" isn't just yeast sediment? Kolsch yeast is notoriously slow to fall out. One the other hand, it's totally possible that something in the bottle wasn't clean. Though to say at this point. I'd let it go, but it would likely be the first one I cracked open just in case it had the potential of being a bottle bomb.

It could be sediment and it's possible that this was the last beer to be bottled and may have gotten the excess from the bottom of my bucket. all the other bottles are crystal clear. This one also has a very thin ring of foam bubbles at the very top of the fill line where none others have this same issue. It could be something got in between sanitizing and filling but i went straight from the sanitizing to filling. I usually fill all bottles with starsan solution from the bottle bucket, dump starsan into storage gallons, rack then fill.

Back