Which beer related websites do you check regularly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBT daily all day at work
Basic Brewing Radio every month or so.

Everything else is blocked at work. I do much interwebbing at home.

This is it. I go on ProBrewer every once and a while, but never post. Ratebeer and Beer Advocate are pretty much useless. I've never seen a collection of supposed beer lovers who know so little about drinking/tasting beer. The only beers that get really rave reviews are huge RIS's, big IPAs, big beers in general, and extremely hard to find Belgians.

This is it. I go on ProBrewer every once and a while, but never post. Ratebeer and Beer Advocate are pretty much useless. I've never seen a collection of supposed beer lovers who know so little about drinking/tasting beer. The only beers that get really rave reviews are huge RIS's, big IPAs, big beers in general, and extremely hard to find Belgians.

I agree completely. I thought I was the only one who held that opinion about BA and Ratebeer. I can't stand how over the top beer snobby most people on those site are.

I agree completely. I thought I was the only one who held that opinion about BA and Ratebeer. I can't stand how over the top beer snobby most people on those site are.

Me too. All you learn going there is that the members like extreme beers.

The sensory evaluations of a particularly beer vary so widely that there is no question that the vast majority of reviewers are horrible at describing beer. Unless you know which ones are getting it right, how do you give any weight to any of them?

I love Beer Advocate, but I will agree that their tasting notes are so random and off the charts that sometimes they make little sense. I showed my girlfriend 4 reviews on the same beer and she was laughing at how the flavors one guy experienced were so concise and clear, yet the next guy had a COMPLETELY different flavor experience. It's weird when you have one guy saying he can taste bananas, cloves, spices, and green apple then the very next reviewer saying he can taste marshmellows, caramel, and vanilla.

RateBeer on the other hand is super snob central. They're brutal over there as a whole, but yet every single Imperial Stout's rating is off the charts.

HBT and a little beeradvocate. BA has liquor store and LHBS reviews that are useful.

HBT and Northern Brewer either to look through their forum or their supplies :p ...mostly drooling over barrels and stainless steel conical fermenters...

I also google for stuff but most of the time it points back here.

I pretty much use this one exclusively, but occasionally find myself somewhere else if \i cant find something on here, which is fairly uncommon

HBT
The Brewing Network
All the different suppliers: NB, AHS, B3 etc etc
Joesixpack.net for philly stuff
philybeerevents.com - likewise
Brookston Beer Bulletin from time to time
Beeryard.com PA distributor with a great selection and site. good events calendar too.
beertown.org

Latest posts

Back