Keggle lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am contemplating how to set up my rig and one aspect has to do with my Keggle lids. I have saved the of the keg that initially cut off and intend to modify it for future use.

My thought is to instal a fly sparge system utilizing the opening on top, and somehow fabricating a peek hole or hinged flap on the flat part of the disc so that I can monitor what is happening in the mash tun periodically.

Are there any threads or discussions that I can refer to, or do you guys have any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thank you for the reply! I think I might actually have something else in mind. I would like use the original top of the keg that I cut off as my lid. This thread definitely gave me some ideas though, thank you!

Pizza pan from the Dollar Tree works well for me. Two pans with styrofoam sandwiched between for my insulated mash tun lid.

I'm thinking about somehow attaching something on the tops I just cut off to use them as lids but it may just be easier to go with the aluminum lids like the ones that come with the turkey fryer pots. It would be a lot easier for me to manipulate them since they're a much softer/thinner metal.

I have the clear glass lids like you find on large crockpots and some pot sets. Picked up all three at thrift stores. Just measured and went. Cost my $2 or so each and they are all 11".

I have the clear glass lids like you find on large crockpots and some pot sets. Picked up all three at thrift stores. Just measured and went. Cost my $2 or so each and they are all 11".

+1
like this idea the best. I am using the washers on the cut off lids for two of them and with three washers on them every once in a while they fall in. on the brew keggle i just use a splash screen, it's from target and was originally going to be my false bottom but ended up doing good on the brew keggle to keep stuff from falling into the pot when brewing and allowing steam to get out.

i used one of mine for a lid and bolted washers onto it.. i also reinstalled the spear upside down and bent it at an angle to use as a handle.. worked out quite nice actually.. the other one went into my stainless hop spider you can see in my signature..

trying to find a picture but can't seem to.. if i think of it i'll post one after work

Back