Firestone-Walker Union Jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
Am I the only one that loves this IPA?

I traveled up to SLO 2 weeks ago and had this on tap in Buelton. very smooth for an IPA at 7.5%. Bought a six pack which tastes very good also.

I spoke to one of the guys who helps brewing, he said this is brewed with lots of late hopping using chinook and cascade. 2 separate Dry hop additions for a total of 2 weeks. They also use some MO pale along with the 2-row and crystal 40L. Advertised at 70 IBU, yet my friends who don't like IPA's liked this beer.

I have a buddy out in Fresno for work bringing back some Firestone Walker with him this weekend. He said that the pale ale was pretty duff but some of the others were quite tasty. I'm looking forward to tasting their brews.

brewt00l said:
I have a buddy out in Fresno for work bringing back some Firestone Walker with him this weekend. He said that the pale ale was pretty duff but some of the others were quite tasty. I'm looking forward to tasting their brews.

I agree their pale is nothing to write home about.
Their Double Barrel Pale Ale is quite good on tap and is pretty unique. A must try if you haven't already.
I bought a bottle of their Reserve, which I'll try on the next special occasion - probably this weekend when the Lakers knock off the Nuggets.

I not a big fan of the Reserve. If you like smoky beers, you may love it, but smoke is not my favorite beer quality. The Union Jack is my favorite beer. The only beers Ive been drinking lately are my home brews and Union Jack. My girlfriend calls it my weakness beer. It is so very good.

I thought that I tasted a lot of Amarillo hops in the Union Jack. Maybe it is chinook and cascade though, if thats what the man said. If you are ever in San Luis Obispo, the beer bar Spikes has it on tap, as well as Racer 5 and some other amazing beers. It is definitely worth checking out. I could sit there and drink the Jack till my eyes water.

Side note...If you haven't tried the Firestone 11 anniversary ale yet, I couldn't recommend it any higher. It is $30 for a bomber. Really pricey, but unlike any beer Ive ever had. Read about it on Beer Advocate if you are curious. It is something special and @11% you should sip slowly. It can get on you. Kinda like a substitute to a great bottle of wine. Save it for a special occasion. It is unreal!

gonzo brewer said:
I agree their pale is nothing to write home about.
Their Double Barrel Pale Ale is quite good on tap and is pretty unique. A must try if you haven't already.
I bought a bottle of their Reserve, which I'll try on the next special occasion - probably this weekend when the Lakers knock off the Nuggets.

I have two bottles of the Double Barrel. Sampled one last night w/ dinner and it tastes just like iced tea...not a fan. I'll give the other one a shot in a couple days and provide more in-depth feedback.

brewt00l said:
I have two bottles of the Double Barrel. Sampled one last night w/ dinner and it tastes just like iced tea...not a fan. I'll give the other one a shot in a couple days and provide more in-depth feedback.
Sounds like an old bottle. I know what flavors you're talking about and they've always come from badly handled beer.

Brewsmith said:
Sounds like an old bottle. I know what flavors you're talking about and they've always come from badly handled beer.

The first bottle tastes like bland iced tea. Dull and not all that interesting.

It was bought last week at the Fresno Bevmo and flown straight out this past weekend with these: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64259 Can't say how long it sat at the Bevmo. We'll see with the next bottle.

I've had bad luck with Bevmo. Stuff fairly local and far. They have a great sellection, but it's questionable about the handling of some of the beers.

I've had bad luck with Bevmo. Stuff fairly local and far. They have a great sellection, but it's questionable about the handling of some of the beers.

I've had the same luck with my local bevmo. Pays to get in good with the staff. My guy will tip me know to new stuff coming in.

As for Union Jack - I've been wanting to try this but man 10 bucks for sixer!!??!! Maybe it's just Whole Foods and my local store. I'll have to look elsewhere.

What did you guys pay for it last?

I pay $7.99 at a family owned store, but I live close to the brewery. You can taste that this is an expensive beer to make when you are confronted with all of those hops. If you buy a $4 bomber of good beer, than a six pack of this is still cheaper (plus having six of these ain't a bad thing!). Thats the way I'd look at it.

Side note, in San Luis Obispo all of the liquor stores are frequently sold out of this beer (including BevMo) with the exception of one which knows how popular it is and makes big orders of it to fill the demand. Its definitely a local favorite.

I'm headed to BevMo tonight specifically to pick this one up. Somehow I didn't know about it until I read about it in the local rag today. I can't wait to try it. Their Pale Ale is my current favorite commercial beer. I hope to replace it tonight:rockin:

Their Double Barrel OTOH, I didn't care for. Just a personal taste thing. It's like a Fat Tire on sterroids in my opinion, and I just don't like the flavor. Too much biscuit for me.

Back