my second Brew and asking advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
i was told once to make a plan then run it by some one that know what there doing then fix it then try it well i want to run this plan around people that know i want to use a different yeast an Ale yeast in my mead here is the recipe that i want to use for some medium sweet mead

13 pds wildflower honey
2 cimmon sticks
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp irish moss
1 packet white labs Belgain ale yeast

No need for the Irish moss. It needs to be boiled to work and there is no need to boil the must. The Irish moss is used in beers to bind up the proteins that can haze a beer. The rest looks OK. Use fresh ground nutmeg, if you have it, & crush up the cinnamon, it will have more surface area then, no need to grind it up though.
Cheers :mug:

Have at it and let us know how it comes out. Would you want to change the yeast again or is this a single run.

Do you want the begain yeast taste with cinnimon??

DONT BOIL HONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and welcome.

honestly if you are gonna use an ale yeast I would say nottinghams, although my favorite is Lalvin d-47 or 71B which are for wines.

for the cinnamon like stated above break into pieces, and for the nutmeg I would just smash one with a hammer and toss in as many pieces as you want.

Another thing to think of is to get some vanilla beans to toss into secondary they will fade quickly but the bring out some of the more subtle flavors in your mead.

Also how big of a batch are you thinking?

i was told once to make a plan then run it by some one that know what there doing then fix it then try it well i want to run this plan around people that know i want to use a different yeast an Ale yeast in my mead here is the recipe that i want to use for some medium sweet mead

13 pds wildflower honey
2 cimmon sticks
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp irish moss
1 packet white labs Belgain ale yeast
I have the following questions:
  1. How much (volume) water were you intending to add to this recipe?
  2. I would wait until the fermentation is completed before adding the spices.
  3. Depending on the batch size, you may find you intend to add too much spice
I also agree that using Irish moss serves no purpose... ;)

Back