Priming Sugar versus Cooper's Carbonation Drops or Munton's Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Is priming sugar the "more natural" way to go for carbonation? While expensive, are drops and tabs "easier and more dependable"? Do tabs and drops work quicker and with more consistent results??? Your input is greatly appreciated!:mug:

The tabs are just sugar cubes essentially.

They're a bit more convenient I guess, as you can drop them in the bottles rather than mixing into the brew. You'll get pretty much the same results either way though.

Just make sure you look at what size bottles the tabs are meant for if you use them, the coopers ones are designed for 1/2 liter bottles (i believe) so using a full one in a 12oz bottle could be problematic.

Never saw the point, Buy Dextrose for like 3 bucks pint of water about 3/4 cup of sugar (depending on style) boil, Cool, add. Not hard at all works evertime.

Never saw the point, Buy Dextrose for like 3 bucks pint of water about 3/4 cup of sugar (depending on style) boil, Cool, add. Not hard at all works evertime.

Really the only reason I could see to use them is if you're not going to rack into a bottling bucket. If your brew is already in something with a spigot, it can save time.

I was thinking about getting some. Just for when I want to make a mead of apfelwein and have most of it still and just carb up a few bottles of each batch.

I just used these on my hefe-wizen. I bottled 6 pints and kegged the rest. This way - I can sample the conditioning at various time stages to determine when to put the keg in the fridge,

They worked great BTW - and all bottle carbonated consistantly.

Dan

how do you keep them sanitized? wear gloves when dropping into the bottles or use forceps/tongs? a was looking at getting a kegging setup and thought keg half and bottle half. I figured this would be a great way to carbonate the case of bottles.

Just make sure you look at what size bottles the tabs are meant for if you use them, the coopers ones are designed for 1/2 liter bottles (i believe) so using a full one in a 12oz bottle could be problematic.
Actually, it's just the opposite. They are made for 12oz bottles, so if you are doing 16oz you will need additional priming sugar.
how do you keep them sanitized?
Wash you hands well and may be dip them in your Star San solution. You are putting the drop in alcohol, so caution has to be used, but unless you get really unsanitary there won’t be any problem.

Actually, it's just the opposite. They are made for 12oz bottles, so if you are doing 16oz you will need additional priming sugar.

You're right, my mistake.. never took the time to read it. They ship them with their large bottles, but it just says to use 2 of them :D

I was told by my LHBS to put approx 1 teaspoon of sugar into each 750ml bottle to carb, and that the carbination drops were basically an easier way of doing that (but much more $). I have now changed to bulk priming as when I was adding the sugar to each individual bottle I had only about a second to get the lids on before the bottles would fizz up and beer would go all over the place!

how do you keep them sanitized?

I took a plastic spoon, heated it over the electric stove top,and bent the sides up so that it was bit like a funel. I spray it with star san and use it to scoop the tabs out of the bag and poor them into the bottle.

I've got both but not sure witch to use to bottle I know I need 1 1/4 cups of dme but is there any advantage or disadvantages to using either one? Thanks to any feed back and happy brewing!

Plain light DME is generally used for priming. Don't wanna add color or flavor to a lighter beer with dark DME. But dextrose would be cheaper & use less by weight to prime with,& is more neutral. And talk about necroposting...

Lolz. Made me think of that old Ugly Kid Joe song-'cause ya think yer so damn cool...good riff. :mug: On the other hand,the Munton's carb tabs take maybe 5 of them to get half decent carbonation. The Cooper's carb drops work well,but at 7 weeks or so,started over-carbonationg,ime. That's why I went to bulk priming to style. So much better that way.

Back