Cascade Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Reaction score
On my first year cascade hops, It looks like there are new bines growing out the side of the original sprouts about and inch or two from the bottom. Is this normal. I guess I was under the impression that each sprout was its own single bine and would climb up. So is it normal for there to be multiple climbers from a single sprout? Also, it looks like the leaves on these are shaped different from the main stalk, maybe just because they are young still?

OMG! Mutant Hops!!

J/K. They look strange for a bit when they start out, but it's ok.

I've got soo many shoots on my second years, I'm thinking about taking some cuttings and see how they hold up to being replanted.

Speaking of Cascades....

I planted 1st yr rhizomes from TG early in March here in Central Fla.

Sprouted very quickly and growing quickly, several bines about 14' or so now.

No side branches yet, however....something odd is occurring....just at the points where the side arms will grow at points up and down each bine are little growths which have now each developed into one solitary flower (hop) at each of the numerous growing points.

I have not seen anything like this in either of last year's Chinook and Nugget (which sprouted late, and are still only max a couple feet tall). Nor have I observed this in any of my 1st year Magnum (now 15'); Hallertauer (now about 13'). The rest, 1st yr--Sterling, Centennial, etc. all only about 3-4'.

Strange, and even more strange because I do not recall anyone on the numerous forums I have read ever mentioning such a thing.

I expect, that the side arms will develop anyway; I just mention the above for sake of conversation and update here.
-Dick Gaines

First year growth show little side shoot growth typically.

Second year they will start shooting sideways within weeks of sprouting - this is where the cones will develop

Nope....
That was definitely not my experience last year w/my 1st year hops <Chinook and Nugget> which upon reaching about 15' began shooting out side growth quickly to around 3' or maybe more. And hops then appeared in clusters, not just one solitary hop, and less than 1'' growth on the bine.

OK here is a picture of what I was asking about originally. It is hard to see well, but the blue line is along the original shoot/stem. The red circles are around the side shoots that are growing. What I am wondering is if these side shoots just grow a few inches and stop or if they are completely new bines that will continue to grow up the twine.

Hops on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Speaking of Cascades....

I planted 1st yr rhizomes from TG early in March here in Central Fla.

Sprouted very quickly and growing quickly, several bines about 14' or so now.

No side branches yet, however....something odd is occurring....just at the points where the side arms will grow at points up and down each bine are little growths which have now each developed into one solitary flower (hop) at each of the numerous growing points.

I have not seen anything like this in either of last year's Chinook and Nugget (which sprouted late, and are still only max a couple feet tall). Nor have I observed this in any of my 1st year Magnum (now 15'); Hallertauer (now about 13'). The rest, 1st yr--Sterling, Centennial, etc. all only about 3-4'.

Strange, and even more strange because I do not recall anyone on the numerous forums I have read ever mentioning such a thing.

I expect, that the side arms will develop anyway; I just mention the above for sake of conversation and update here.
-Dick Gaines

Pic--Solitary Hops--No side growth--???

2n71fgm.jpg

I apologize for posting to this thread as I think I have only confused things a bit by being off-topic.

To begin with, the original question had to do with Cascades and so I threw in my question/remark as it had to do with my Cascade; and someone else mentioned "mutant" hop plant which could be so in my case.

For my own problem here I think the problem is resolving itself in that my Cascade is now showing some growth likely to be the missing side branches, in addition to the solitary, fully-developed hop flowers that first appeared.

In the case of the original question, shape of leaves, etc. I know from my own limited experience and from what I've read that sometimes the first leaves appear to be "simple" e.g. w/o points, etc. This as they are as yet undeveloped leaves on as yet undeveloped plants. Usually, they say, as growth proceeds newer leaves take on the three or five points on the new leaves. In my own case, I have noticed different appearing leaves on my same bines, same plants as they grow and develop.

As I say, my own experience is very limited as having grown only 1 each Nuggett and Chinook last year; and now 5 more varieties this year.

So far so good.

Best
Dick Gaines

Back