Fall/Winter growing in SoCal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshal6

Reaction score
I live in an Inland part of Southern California, Temecula to be exact, I had some hops growing but I ignored them and they died, I just recently dug up a rhizome and stuck it in a pot of water. To my surprise it started to spout so I planted it. Its been a few weeks since I planted the rhizome and I now have a few vines about a foot tall each. My question is will these just continue to grow through out the winter, if so will they begin to produce cones around the same time of year as if they had been planted in the spring? We have very mild winters here with temps rarely below 50.

not an expert but i think the rate at which they grow is due to the day length. in the spring the days get longer so they start growing and as the days start getting shorter they start producing cones and then die back for the winter.

I know people who grew weed off season in temecula so I think hops would work too.

I would expect that they do something to extend the "day"light. never having grown weed, i cant comment with authority, but i understand that it is photo-sensitive (is that even a term). In other words you have to make sure it gets a given number of hours of light a day to ensure it wont flower prematurely. I'm guessing the same is true of hops as well, but hell, it couldn't hurt to see what happens with them.

Keep us posted with your damned 50 degree winters. I'm gonna go get my scarf and gloves outta summer storage now.... :(

Hops won't grow, even in the warmest part of the northern hemisphere, through winter outdoors. If you have a warehouse with high pressure sodium lights hanging 30 ft. up, YMMV:D.

I would expect that they do something to extend the "day"light. never having grown weed, i cant comment with authority, but i understand that it is photo-sensitive (is that even a term). In other words you have to make sure it gets a given number of hours of light a day to ensure it wont flower prematurely. I'm guessing the same is true of hops as well, but hell, it couldn't hurt to see what happens with them.

Keep us posted with your damned 50 degree winters. I'm gonna go get my scarf and gloves outta summer storage now.... :(

Correct the plant reacts to a photoperiod but it has to do more with the change in day light or photoperiod than with the amount of day light.

I say give it a shot but the yeild may not be as good as the summer.

Your hops hadn't died, they went into dormancy. Perennials that grow in a temperate climate (North America) need to have a rest period. By restarting the growth you may have messed with their life cycle. Your hops, being mostly weed like, are probably fine but don't do anything else to them. Many perennials can live throughout the winter with some growth and start regrowing when the time is right, however, do not fertilize them.

Back