Need help with kit instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Just switched over to all grain after building a mash tun. This is my first run after looking over some of the tutorials here. Went with a kit for my first batch and I'm puzzled over the directions. They dont seem to match up with any of the tutorials Ive read so far.

Under the mash schedule it says Sacch' Rest 153 F for 60 minutes? Whats the hell is a "Sacch' Rest"? Does that just mean to mash at that temp for that period of time?

After the Sachh' Rest it says to mashout at 170 for 10 minutes, can anyone give me a quick how to on mashout?

Saccrification rest is the time in the mash tun that lets the enzymes turn the starches into sugars. Yup, it means to mash at that temp for an hour. At the end of the hour you (slowly) drain the wort out of the mash tun into the boil pot. Then you add the amount of water needed to make the pre-boil amount, stir the heck out of it to collect all possible sugars and drain that into the pot too. If you add water that is hot enough to bring the grains and water to 170 it will denature the enzymes so your sugar profile won't change. If not, don't worry too much. Just drain it anyway. It'll make beer.

joyceman said:
Just switched over to all grain after building a mash tun. This is my first run after looking over some of the tutorials here. Went with a kit for my first batch and I'm puzzled over the directions. They dont seem to match up with any of the tutorials Ive read so far.

Under the mash schedule it says Sacch' Rest 153 F for 60 minutes? Whats the hell is a "Sacch' Rest"? Does that just mean to mash at that temp for that period of time?

After the Sachh' Rest it says to mashout at 170 for 10 minutes, can anyone give me a quick how to on mashout?

The sacch rest is your mash temp (short for saccharification rest). So determine what temp water you need to get to 153F in your mash (use software or formula depending on amount of grain and mash thickness). The mash out is your sparge, if you batch sparge - then drain your mash tun and add your 170F water to get to your necessary volume.

I do all-grain. I batch sparge. 1-mash, 2-sparges after.

Step one - add mash water to grain and let it set for about an hour. You may hit 153, then that is good if you come in too cool, drain a bit of the mash back out and heat it up till you hit your target. If it is too hot you may get a "Red" flavor. A zip-lock bag of ice may cool it off.

Wait an hour, drain most of the wort off. Leave the grain bed fairly wet.

For the two sparges, hold a pot lid over the grain bed and sprinkle the water so it doesn't disturb the grain bed. I let mine set for about ten minutes.

I hope this helps.

You can also use the search function above-left to search sacc rest

...also restart a new thread with the title mashing and sparging. If you notice, at the bottom of the page there are related threads shown reflecting your thread title.

Thanks for the quick replies. The AG directions dont hold your hand through the process like with my first extract kit.

Back