1 Tier, 1 Pump, 3-3 way Valves, HERMS through Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I drew up a schematic for a single tier with three way valves circulating through an immersion chiller for HERMS. If you can't see the pic below (I can't), here's the link to a bigger one (use the magnifying glass and + to zoom in):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xUMu3mq-4iCrvvki2qb3KK3WlqiYzzrep7ME0hCYFbY?feat=directlink

The plan was originally for an electric HLT and BK, but would also work with a gas HLT and BK.

If that doesn't work, PM. I have a better resolution PDF.

Ignore the "drain" stage.

Happy brewing!

schematic_ 2011-12-22.jpg

Nicely done. I have been thinking that with my single pump I am pretty much trapped with a 2 tier for my next redesign, but what can a 2 tier do that this system wouldn't?

The only question is where to find 3 way valves on the cheap. :)

The only question is where to find 3 way valves on the cheap. :)

I haven't done the comparison, but the cost might be close when you compare how many 2 way valves (and connections) you would need instead of 3 way. I've seen the 1/2" SS 3 ways for around $50.

In my mind, the three way valves seem simpler than a bunch of 2 ways. The less I have to fiddle with the better.

Glad you like it!

Back