stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout 3 weeks ago and was going to keg it today. When I was about to keg it I took a hydrometer reading and it was at 1.020. The kit i had was from midwest supplies and here are the ingredients: 6 lbs. Dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Rolled Oats, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz. of hops. My starting gravity was 1.048 and the directions say the FG should be 1.012. Should I keg this or is it stuck and i need to rouse the yeast somehow? This has been sitting in the primary i never transferred to a secondary.

i forgot to mention the yeast used was wyeast irish ale

I would wait two days and check it again. If the hydrometer reads the same, keg it.

I would give it a good shake and then wait the two days.

Not like pick up the carboy to shake it like spray paint.

Leave your carboy/ bucket sitting on a strong flat surface and give it a good jiggle.

will do thanks guys. the only other thing I can think if thats causing this would be the hydrometer being incorrect for some reason. I have not had this problem with any other brews yet. Someone in another thread mentioned that if you dont mix the wort with the top off water well enough then it could cause this when taking a OG reading. i didnt mix them too well, maybe the heavier wort is stuck at the bottom and i couldnt get an accurate reading? i used a wine theif to take a reading.

this is only true for an original gravity reading because the extract isn't mixed well.

don't "mix up" your beer after it's done fermenting...you don't want aeration.

you can calibrate your hydrometer: it should read 1.000 in 60*F water.

i'd just give it a nice "swirl" and leave it for a couple more days before taking another reading.

no splashing.

I gave it a little swirl and left it and took a reading today. it was still at 1.020 so I kegged it. what could have went wrong? so basically is this going to be about a 3% oatmeal stout?

well, thats better than I thought and i guess it sounds about right. I primed it to naturaly carbonate for about 3 weeks and by then I should have a freed up spot in the kegerator.

Back