dry hops... im sure this is fine.. but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayton102

Reaction score
so i have fermented my diamond knot ipa for a week and a couple days in a glass carboy. i was mostly following the directions in the paper that came with the kit. today i drew some of the brew out and tested it and got a reading of 1.016 and thought... "ok now when am i supposed to add the dry hops?" looked at the paper and it said to add them at the start of the fermentation. well i decided to just add the dry hops now. what will be my results??? (airlock still bubbles every minute or two.)

should i let it ferment for longer and keep in primary for whole fermentation until maybe then end of this coming weekend, then bottle?

give me guidence oh great ones!!!

You are supposed to wait until fermentation is done before adding 'dry hops'. It sounds like you already know that and you want to know why that is. Lucky you, you will find out first hand. What can you do to back out of this? You could rack to secondary right now, give yeast as much time as it needs to finish the gravity to stable (by checking hydrometer samples), and then re-dry hop.

ok... i was hoping to not secondary, cause my secondary is a bucket from homebrewheaven. but i got it off of craigslist and i dont know how its been cleaned in the past and was worried about little scrathches possibly being in the bucket. but the guy said he never used it... but who knows!! now with my gravity levels being at 1.016 is it possible that tomorow and the next day they will be the same and my beer is done fermenting already? tho i did notice my test was a little cloudy still... sorry for all the newbie questions!!!! lol is it actually going to damage the taste of my beer dry hopping this far into the process???

(and i dont have anymore dry hops....)

Sounds to me like your beer is probably already done fermenting or close to it. What you did with the dry hops is fine. If the beer is still fermenting while you dry hop it isn't going to hurt anything, you may just lose some aroma out of the air lock. Don't transfer the beer to secondary or do anything else to it for 4-7 days now that you've dry hopped. Take another hydrometer sample in a day or two and see if the gravity has changed. If it's still 1.016 then you can transfer it to a bottling bucket and bottle it as soon as you think you've dry hopped long enough.

Latest posts

Back