What bag does everyone use for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Making the jump from extract to biab starting January 1. I will be converting a old keg into a kettle to use, but I am looking for suggestion as to what bag to use.

I know a forum member makes bags, or paint strainer bags, or morebeer sells a 29 inch bag. Or does everyone just whip out the old sewing machine?

Any help is appreciated, can't wait to start biab

(First recipient is gonna be a rye IPA)

I went the same as gtmaus, of course it cost more money. I love mine.

image-2871050561.jpg

I picked up one of these a couple months ago. I've brewed 5 batches with it and could not be happier.

http://www.bagbrewer.com/index.html

I've purchased a bag from the same site. This bag is very well constructed and has worked perfectly for several BIAB brew sessions, including some with 30+ lb grain bills. I also received it rapidly (about 2 days) after ordering it. You simply provide the diameter of your kettle. Mine fits my 20 gallon kettle very nicely.

I use a bag from Wilserbrewer. Have been able to do 27 lb of gain in my keggle with the pulley. I think I could do larger grain batches were I to open the keggle more and improve my hoisting method. This is doing a dunk sparge for ten gallon batches.

I made mine from Walmart voile. I sewed my first (for a 5 gal kettle) by hand, only took 45 mins or so. My wife made 2 bags for my 10 gal pot on the sewing machine, took her maybe 15 mins. I stuck some parachute chord through the hem on the curtain to use as a pull string. I'd suggest just doing it yourself.

I can't recommend a custom bag from Wilserbrewer enough. It's a great quality, great fitting bag at a VERY reasonable price and fast delivery. I absolutely love mine

The paint strainer bags are a good option for smaller batches but for a 5 gallon batch in a big kettle they just don't cut it

i just picked up some polyester voile yesterday, planning to sew up a bag today... but i got paged out for mandatory OT, so i'm making some extra christmas money today instead.

I went with the MoreBeer 29 x 29. I've done a 15 lb grain bill in it so far. I'm sure it would do more though.

If you decide to make your own bag (or have someone else sew it for you) buying a one panel voile curtain from Walmart will allow you to make a 2 ply bag. I use my sewing machine and it takes about 15 minutes to get it done when I double or triple stitch the sides. If you don't want to hoist the bag up to drain you can make a simple draining system by doing one of these 2 opions:

1. Buy a use oven grate/tray at a thrift store. Buy a 5 gallon white pain bucket from Walmart for $4. Drill a dozen holes or so in the bottom of the bucket. Place the grate over the top of your keggle and set the BIAB in the paint bucket on top of the grate to drain into the keggle. I do this with most of the 5-6 gallon batches I brew BIAB.

2. Do the same idea as above but instead set the grate on top of a second bucket. Place the drilled bucket on the grate and then move your BIAB grain sack into the drilled bucket to drain or even do a sparge if needed. this requires a bit less coordiantion which is nice if the BIAB sack gets heavy like for an 8 gallon batch.

If you want me to post any pictures of this I would be happy to do so if my reply is unclear. The paint strainer bags will be way too small for your keggle but can be used well in a 5 gallon kettle if you ever want to do a 2.5 gallon stove top brew session indoors or make your own starter wort. I do this for much smaller batches of 1-3 gallons on an electric stove and then ferment in 3.5 gallon food grade buckets you can buy from the walmart bakery or a grocery store for around $1-2. Add in a 50 cent grommet from the hardware store and you are ready to do smaller brews if you want to try a new recipe out. I think the BIAB process is very cool so I don't have to clean my mashtun in the winter.

I can't recommend a custom bag from Wilserbrewer enough. It's a great quality, great fitting bag at a VERY reasonable price and fast delivery. I absolutely love mine

The paint strainer bags are a good option for smaller batches but for a 5 gallon batch in a big kettle they just don't cut it

+1 on the Wilser bags

I bought some 5 gallon Tromac paint strainer bags on line. Working great, and real cheap.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

The morebeer bag is only $7. It has lasted for many batches and probably many more to come. It has held like 14 lbs of wet grain with no problem.
I think Wilser's bag setup is a good deal also.

If you decide to make your own bag (or have someone else sew it for you) buying a one panel voile curtain from Walmart will allow you to make a 2 ply bag. I use my sewing machine and it takes about 15 minutes to get it done when I double or triple stitch the sides. If you don't want to hoist the bag up to drain you can make a simple draining system by doing one of these 2 opions:

1. Buy a use oven grate/tray at a thrift store. Buy a 5 gallon white pain bucket from Walmart for $4. Drill a dozen holes or so in the bottom of the bucket. Place the grate over the top of your keggle and set the BIAB in the paint bucket on top of the grate to drain into the keggle. I do this with most of the 5-6 gallon batches I brew BIAB.

2. Do the same idea as above but instead set the grate on top of a second bucket. Place the drilled bucket on the grate and then move your BIAB grain sack into the drilled bucket to drain or even do a sparge if needed. this requires a bit less coordiantion which is nice if the BIAB sack gets heavy like for an 8 gallon batch.

If you want me to post any pictures of this I would be happy to do so if my reply is unclear. The paint strainer bags will be way too small for your keggle but can be used well in a 5 gallon kettle if you ever want to do a 2.5 gallon stove top brew session indoors or make your own starter wort. I do this for much smaller batches of 1-3 gallons on an electric stove and then ferment in 3.5 gallon food grade buckets you can buy from the walmart bakery or a grocery store for around $1-2. Add in a 50 cent grommet from the hardware store and you are ready to do smaller brews if you want to try a new recipe out. I think the BIAB process is very cool so I don't have to clean my mashtun in the winter.

i would love to see your pictures of how you do this, please and thank you.

I use a 29" bag from MoreBeer in a ss basket that fits inside my 10 gal. BK. It's holding up well after 6 or 7 batches so far, but that bag is plenty big. I have to roll it up a lot at the top. It won't be long before it's time to retire that bag, at which time I'll likely step up to a Wilserbrewer bag that's tailored the right size. Plus, I like the cool ratchet pulleys you can order there.

mdabbles said:
I bought some 5 gallon Tromac paint strainer bags on line. Working great, and real cheap. Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

I use a paint strainer bag in my plastic ferment bucket as a mash tun. I wrap it with a blanket on the countertop and lose about 2-3 degrees over an hour. I then put another plastic bucket filled with 170 degree water on the counter top and move the mash tun to a stool on the floor. I put my boil pot on the floor and attach a short piece of tubing to each bucket. I then fly sparge from the top bucket to the lower bucket and right into the boil kettle. I figure this is a hybrid AG/BIAB but it works well for me. I did a leffe clone this way and hit my OG exactly so I figure my efficiency is where it needs to be.

I generally use around 10lbs or so of grain for a 4 gallon recipe. The bag holds up fine and is easy to clean out once your boiling away.

I bought a couple of yards of polyester voile and asked my mother to sew up some bags since neither I or my SWMBO can sew. I believe she was able to make about 5 or 6 from the material. I use a 62 quart Bayou Classic SS pot with basket. I use the bag until it becomes really frayed and ratty looking.

When these are gone, I will get a couple from Wilserbrewer.

I got mine from biab-brewing.com. I couldn't be happier with the quality of construction. You can provide the dimension of your kettle or mash tun and they'll make the exact size you need.

Just ordered a bag and ratchet pulley from Wilserbrewer. Looking forward to setting that up for my next brew day. The ratchet pulley will mean no more tying off the end of the hoist with a nail in the garage wall!

gtmaus said:
I picked up one of these a couple months ago. I've brewed 5 batches with it and could not be happier.

http://www.bagbrewer.com/index.html

I bought one of Jeff's bags as well. Solid construction, tapered and sized correctly for my keggle, and has four sturdy handles made of nylon webbing. I too could not be happier,

I agree the Wilserbrewers bags rock! I have done 5 batches so far in mine and all came out great, minimal flour gets through the bag and cleanup is very easy with this bag. I had the morebeer bag and wow once you get a Wilserbrew bag, you realize how much better a good bag is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Just received my Wilserbrewer bag and ratchet pulley yesterday. That bag looks quite robust. The seams are stitched nice and tight, with no ragged edges hanging out. Big, heavy drawstring, made for suspending some serious grain weight. Looks like it's made to last. Can't wait to try it on my next batch.

GeorgiaMead said:
Is a 5 gallon paint strainer sufficient for a 10 gal kettle?

While perhaps not ideal, Depending on the kettle, it will likely be a bit on the small side. You can perhaps overcome this by either stirring really well, or lifting the bag in and out of the wort several times to rinse.

If you have a large grain bill, you could try using 2 bags as well.

There is a u tube vid of a guy doing a 10 gallon batch in a keggle using 4 paint strainer bags, after the mash he rinses each bag with a garden hose sprayer.

Bottom line is you need to mash at proper temps and rinse the grain well,

It is said that a talented brewer could make good beer in his hat, love to see it done :)
Cheers!

Yeah I am getting a 10 gal kettle this afternoon, I was thinking if mashing with 2 gallons ( one gallon batch) and rinse with .5 gallon

I use the basket from my BC 62qt and a home-made voile bag (that I've been using for over a year).

I do have a question though...for anyone else using their basket and an oven rack to drain and squeeze their grains, have you though about using a steel mesh screen "permanently" installed in the basket?

I do have a question though...for anyone else using their basket and an oven rack to drain and squeeze their grains, have you though about using a steel mesh screen "permanently" installed in the basket?

Nope, I just hoist the basket and bag, let drain, then squeeze/crush the bag in the basket with a heavy glass pitcher and move on with the boil.

Back