Should I pitch again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmo

Reaction score
Brewed on Thursday and as of yesterday I didn't have any activity (og 1.083). I repitched WLP001 from a slurry I harvested two weeks ago. I've repitched previously with no problem. After seeing no activity, I prepared a starter, which will be ready to pitch in a few hours. Overnight one of the carboys developed a thin krausen and the other is just barely starting to develop. They're both sitting at 69F.

Should I pitch the starter or just wait? If I do toss in the starter, I assume it's too late to aerate at this point because the first round of yeast is already getting to business.

Definitely don't aerate, but I would save the starter for another batch and leave this one alone - for a big beer like that, 24-48 hours lag time isn't unusual.

Definitely don't aerate, but I would save the starter for another batch and leave this one alone - for a big beer like that, 24-48 hours lag time isn't unusual.

Thanks. It's the first time I haven't used a starter in a couple years - even when I repitch I usually prepare a starter. I'm used to a way shorter lag time.

Back