WLP810 San Fran Lagering temp???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I fermented an Oktoberfest with this strain at about 55F for a month in my primary. I did d-rest at 68F for 2 days and then dropped the temp back down to 54F until I hit terminal gravity. At that point I racked to my secondary (5 gal better bottle) to start lagering. I have it in an ice bath at about 44F. Is this low of a temp ok for this yeast?? The white labs website says;
Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F.... Since it says "down to 50 degrees" I'm wondering if my 44F is too low, or is the 50F guidline just for fermenting and not lagering??

I just picked up a vile of the 810 to try a Cali Common lager. I haven't brewed yet, but what I have read about this strain is that it likes the higher (warmer) end of the spectum as far as lager yeasts are concerned. Anything sub 50 would seem too low based on what I've read. Have you had the chance to bottle or keg yet? I am curious how it comes out for you.

Once fermentation is completely done, it's really nice to drop the temperature for a lagering period. It really smooths and "crisps" up the flavor with that yeast strain.

I fermented it at the lower end of the spectrum. It's my first time using it as well. I just racked it to my secondary this past saturday. When I did a gravity reading I tasted the sample, and it's delicious! I'm going to lager it for about 6 weeks before I bottle. I'm just not sure if white labs temp recommendations are just for fermenting or if they include the lagering process as well....

Once fermentation is completely done, it's really nice to drop the temperature for a lagering period. It really smooths and "crisps" up the flavor with that yeast strain.

Will this low lagering temp with this yeast cause me to have to re-pitch yeast at bottling time? Can I use the same washed yeast for this?

Will this low lagering temp with this yeast cause me to have to re-pitch yeast at bottling time? Can I use the same washed yeast for this?

You won't need to repitch, but you can if you are really worried about it. I'd probably not bother, but if you want to I'd recommend just using about 1/3 package of dry neutral ale yeast (like nottingham).

That's not a "low lagering temp" at all! 33 degrees is where I lager my beers.

You won't need to repitch, but you can if you are really worried about it. I'd probably not bother, but if you want to I'd recommend just using about 1/3 package of dry neutral ale yeast (like nottingham).

That's not a "low lagering temp" at all! 33 degrees is where I lager my beers.

I wont bother re-pitching then.. Although, if I wanted too can I also use dry Muntons yeast as a bottling yeast. I've read that it isn't a great quality yeast for brewing, but would the quality of it matter for bottling? (just for future reference..)
I can't get any colder than 44F or I would go lower. My secondary is burried in frozen bottles and jugs in a water bath, and this is as cold as it gets..

I'd still love an answer. 50 isn't a low lagering temp, but this isn't an average temperature preferring lager yeast. So should WLP810 be lagered below it minimum fermentation temp?

Back