Trying some new IPA's. What do I have here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Got a variety pack last night. Decided to try some new IPA's and Golden Monkey (tripel). I don't know anything about them. Anything good here?
IMG_20110402_185933.jpg

I really like Long Hammer but the last two time I've had it has given me a hangover. But I am sure it is directly related to the fact that i like it to much.

The only one I reckognize is long hammer which is pretty good. I just had a "lucky u ipa" for the first time tonight and was quite impressed. Well balanced for an ipa with good malt character.

I had the Brooklyn the other day out of a variety pack. It was pretty tasty and smooth. I've also had the victory and thought it was only ok.

I think Brooklyn is more of a pale ale than IPA. Hercules is amaz-za-zing double IPA. Lots of hops and alcohol in that bad boy.

coypoo said:
I think Brooklyn is more of a pale ale than IPA. Hercules is amaz-za-zing double IPA. Lots of hops and alcohol in that bad boy.

I agree with you on the Brooklyn, I'm drinking it now. Very light for an IPA although it has a hoppy aroma. Not bad though so the first one is good :)

Tried the Long hammer last night and it was good. Drinking the Smuttynose right now. It's quite the bitter bomb. After pouring I noticed that it was past the 'best by' date so its probably missing some hop flavors. So far the Long hammer is my favorite.

I'm pretty sure dogfish head 90 minute is my favorite. Belles hopslam is also awesome.

I think I still have 1 Smuttynose IPA left. It's not bitter,just loaded with cascade & citra hops. Maybe even some lemon zest. Def has a lemon zest quality to the flavor,with grapefruit under that. No malt character,though. And there are more & dif IPA's around the world. It's the American ones that are all nuclear hop bombs. The one from Brooklyn Brewery is more like the original.

Tomtanner said:
I'm pretty sure dogfish head 90 minute is my favorite. Belles hopslam is also awesome.

Dogfish 90 is my favorite too. But I live 20 minutes from the brewery and have access to their brews anytime. I wanted to try some new ones. I really wish I could get my hands on Pliny or Hopslam but I don't think they are available in Delaware.

I've found that a young Golden Monkey is a bit too harsh. Give it 6 months of age and it gets nice and smooth, the complexity comes out instead of that harsh ethanol taste and smell. Although Im not a big fan of Belgians to begin with.

Smuttynose is delicious. So is that Hercules. Never had the others.

Smuttynose makes a delicious IPA. Also, have you had O'dell's IPA? It is a classic, my favorite in the category.

Talk to the guy that the local beer store, and he told me that the Sneaky Pete is really an attempt at a Hop Slam clone.

Full Disclosure ~ Longhammer is a BMC product.

My favs are the victory and great divide, provided you leave them in the cellar for a while. I personally like the smuttynose, although it's english inspired. Brooklyn tastes a bit like an english pale. This could be a result of my tastebuds being deadened by west coast hops though. I tried longhammer once and actually liked it better than sam adams ipa. There are just so many better ipa's out there though that I don't have to or choose to support BMC.

Go for some dogfish head, bells, troegs, stone, southern tier, or victory ipa's next time. then try some belgian ipa's....allagash hugh malone, stone cali belgique, ommegang bpa or gnomegang, a'chouffe houbblen, steenberge piraat, deranke xx bitter, etc.... To round out try some english ipa's to see which you prefer.

IMO, long hammer sucks. Never been impressed by Red Hook.

Smuttynose is the best in the bunch. Golden Monkey ain't bad either.

I had no idea Longhammer was BMC. I wondered if any of these would be "fake" microbrews since I didn't know anything about them.

I was watching some clips of beer wars,& they had a guy from coors talking about how they came up with blue moon as a "craft" brew. One guy was laughing about people buying it,thinking it to be a true craft beer. That's cold,man.
But I did find Smuttynose at Giant eagle. Super K has Rogue (I bought the dead guy!),Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale,& others. I've also had the Smuttynose "old brown dog ale". It has a bit more hops,but otherwise seems like a dead guy ale knock off to me. Both are good,however. I just hope some place around here has the Mammoth 395 IPA. I'm dying to try it.

Back