Can I rack 5 gallons of brew to a 6 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Ok, so ive been searching for this thread without luck, and I know it is on here cause I saw it before, so I am sorry for re-posting this question. I just need to know. Is it ok to rack to secondary a 5 gal batch in a 6 gal better bottle? Thanks!

Yes. Beer in secondary still is going to give off CO2 when transferred and the racking process will ensure that the beer is covered with a CO2 layer. You might not do it for real long term aging, but for a few weeks or so it will be fine.

Thats what I was thinking, but I was not sure how long it would take to oxidize. Thanks!

Thats very true, albeit, i'm not up to kegging yet, so I don't really keep CO2 on hand.

Ok, i'll ask...why are you set on doing a secondary? i'd be tempted to go primary only, rather than rack to an oversized secondary?

How old is the batch?

if you use a blowoff tube, you could cap the bottle with two tubes in it and run one over to hang inside BB to catch co2, but that's probably more of a pain than it's worth.

If you aren't doing a secondary for a reason (fruiting, dry hopping, etc.) then you could also just leave the beer in primary. I only use secondaries for those purposes, but 90% of the time I finish the beer in the primary, then go straight to the keg.

Ok, i'll ask...why are you set on doing a secondary? i'd be tempted to go primary only, rather than rack to an oversized secondary?

How old is the batch?

Actually, I had just purchased new better bottles and realized i got 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I was wondering if I should just return both 5 gal for 6 gal and see if I could use one as a secondary...or....keep one of the 5 gal for secondary only. but, i think ill keep both 6 gal and use as a secondary every now and then....

Thats very true, albeit, i'm not up to kegging yet, so I don't really keep CO2 on hand.

Ghetto CO2 generator:

Plastic jug with a stopper and hose. Bit of dry ice in the bottom. Or dry ice and a bit of water. CO2 vents out the hose. Stick hose in the carboy and fill it up. Since CO2 is heavier than air you can watch it fill up and start to overflow. Cap the carboy until ready to rack.

Actually, I had just purchased new better bottles and realized i got 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I was wondering if I should just return both 5 gal for 6 gal and see if I could use one as a secondary...or....keep one of the 5 gal for secondary only. but, i think ill keep both 6 gal and use as a secondary every now and then....

Ok thanks Aco...I'm actually no help here as I don't secondary...perhaps I don't brew recipes that require long bulk aging. I tend to primary only and then go straight to keg. My brewing lends itself more to buckets and shorter term projects, so I see no use for the better bottles?? Maybe for a wine or heavy brew that you want to lay away I guess.

I too just racked five gallons from primary to a six gallon carboy and was wondering the same thing. There was a lot of trub in the primary which meant it was closer to only four gallons that I recovered. I did notice that it was still emitting a random bubble here and there while siphoning it so I'm pretty sure the Co2 it produces will protect it. I have also learned, while searching this blog, that I should probably just leave it in primary for 2 -3 weeks, rack to the bottling bucket and bottle it. This is only my second batch (kit) but that's my plan for the next batch. Thanks for being such a great resource!

If you can put some CO2 into the deadspace otherwise I'd move it into a 5 gal to prevent oxidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like a good idea. Do you know if I Can you buy a can of co2 at the brew supply store?

Back