Labeling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
Basically...how do you do it? Are you guys just using photoshop? Are you printing on paper and just gluing it on, or are you fitting it to fit on something like an avery label adhesive label? Is there some label making program out there?

I use The Gimp, and print on plain gummed label paper from the LHBS. I print them at work :)p) on the laser printer because labels printed with an ink jet will bleed as soon as they get wet.

You can allegedly seal the in jet printer's labels with spray on gloss from the hardware or hairspray. Never tried it myself.

I print on an inkjet and use an acrylic spray to fix the ink so water doesn't make it run. I use plain paper and cut it out with an Xacto, and use a gluestick to apply. It washes off easy when you need to reuse the bottle.

I use Inkscape and the Gimp for label design.

I don't have a sophisticated computer software yet but I just started applying my labels with the milk method. I saw that several people on this forum had tried it and had success. I must saw it's the best method I have personally used so far. The pre-gummed paper from the LHBS justed didn't stay on the bottles for me. I also used regular Avery 2.5 x 3 shipping labels. Those solved the sticking-to-the-bottle problem but they were a gumming mess to remove. The milk method has been the cheapest and most reliable option for me so far. The way I understand it is that the proteins in the milk cling to the side of the bottle. I simple spunge swipe and a slap on the bottle is all you need. I have a very cheap ink jet printer so I have to be careful not to get milk on the wrong side. And, no, it doesn't smell like sour milk.

Belive it or not, but I started with Excel...you can cut and paste pics from the net and my version has a decent "wordart" portion to it to modify text, etc. The drawing tools on Excel are really decent and you can work up some decent labels.

I Print on regular paper, cut, and glue stick to the bottle.

I only do bottles that hit the road for parties and friends...can't imagine doing 45+ bottles per batch.

I got Photoshop Elements a year or so ago for Christmans so I'm a bit jaded since then (and lucky).

Probem with regular paper and ink jet is bleeding when the label gets wet. I've not yet tried photograph-type paper, which should help.

Easy = Better in my book.

Cheers.

I've been meaning to try the Gimp, supposedly it's better than Photoshop (whether that's based on price I'm not entirely sure... Photoshop is way expensive). I bought several Photoshop tutorial magazines after "acquiring" a copy of Photoshop and it's amazing what you can do after learning to use even the most basic tools. I luff it :D

I used Powerpoint to edit my labels, and printed on a standard color laser printer & paper. The wife applied labels with rubber cement. (goes on easy, comes off easy).

I don't label every batch, but we did label a case for my father, which we gave as a christmas gift.

Markusface said:
I've been meaning to try the Gimp, supposedly it's better than Photoshop (whether that's based on price I'm not entirely sure... Photoshop is way expensive). I bought several Photoshop tutorial magazines after "acquiring" a copy of Photoshop and it's amazing what you can do after learning to use even the most basic tools. I luff it :D

I wouldn't say Gimp is "better" than PS. It is lacking a few things PS has, and some people (mostly PS users) hate the interface. That said, though, I've been using the Gimp since the late 90s so Photoshop's interface is completely foreign to me and Gimp makes more sense. Current version is pretty good, and you can do a lot of stuff with it.

I use illustration software from SERIF (SERIF DrawPlus). I have Illustrator and PS but frankly the SERIF is a less expensive (and easier to use, I think) alternative.

I'm using the gummed paper, but the milk thing sounds like something to try.

Latest posts

Back