Going to Brew my first double brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTrap

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will attempt to brew two AG beers in one session for the first time. I am looking at a Traditional Bock and an Octoberfest I want to get going for the Fall.

The goal is to get the Bock into the brew kettle and as it raises to boil get the mash on the Oct Fest set up and then mash while I boil. If the timing goes well I should get the boil cooled and into the fermenter with enough time to scrub out the kettle and get the sparge going for my Oct Fest.

Not sure how this is going to play out as I will be running the whole thing myself, but I will post pics. Any tips in the mean time?

No tips, but good luck to you! I have thought many times of trying what you're gonna do, I just never had the stones to actually try it. When its 105 degrees outside, I'm ready for a nap after a brew session, maybe I'll try it around Christmas time....

I did a typical mid-day brew, drank a 6'er of guiness while out in the sun working on my tan. That brew went off w/o a hitch. About 7 pm or so my buddy shows up as I'm pitching yeast on to the first brew. We sampled a few higher gravity brews and began firing up the second batch.

Second brew, after 10 beers and many hours of sun was going good until.... I realized I mashed with the ENTIRE water volume for the entire batch, sparge and all. We essentially mashed with like 9 gallons of water. It began pouring down rain. We had so much freaking wort pre-boil we had to literally crank up the propane to max and continue drinking with our friend out of the rain. My friend cut himself somewhere along the way bleeding like crazy. He ate a whirfloc tablet. We got soaked.

We boiled like CRAZY for an hour.. then started the normal boil schedule, late into the night, after dark, after a LOT of alcohol. The next day I woke up and looked at the carboy. Half of the yeast ended up outside the carboy. There was sticky crap all over the side. I had a HUGE headache. However that beer fermented like crazy, and after about 4 weeks into the keg (we of course kegged it green), it was unbelievable. We could NEVER recreate that beer, rain water, maybe blood, and HUGE f ups, but it was so good.

So you're likely to get some fatigue by the second brew but my advice is to start early and drink lightly for the first brew, you'll still have a few hours of brewing left to go. Don't start throwing back the beverages until the boil of the second one starts!

My advice is just go for it! Something so satisfying about having TWO carboys bubbling away the next morning :)

I have brewed 2-11 gal batches in one day, Its a lot of work. The closest I would get to doing it aigan is making a big and small beer from one batch.

Good luck :)
David

I did 3 five gallon batches Tuesday and all went well. I started about 10:00 and finished about 10:00 with about an hour break for dinner. All 3 will be ready for the secondary by Sunday. Its a long day but once you get started its all good thinking about the outcome. Gonna make me one more mash tun and find another stock pot. Than I can do a double in about 5 hours each time i brew. That would be cooooool!!!!

Well, things went pretty smoothly. I am worn out though. I got a late start so it went from 2 pm to 10 pm. Got the Bock into the boiling kettle and right away started the strike water for the Blonde. The blonde may have spent an extra 20 minutes in the mash tun while I chilled the bock, but all in all things went well. I took some pictures, but will post those tomorrow as I don't have the neergy right now. I think I would do this again, but only if I started earlier in the day and had an assistant.

Back