Junk on bottom of bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDealer

Reaction score
There is a slight layer of what looks like could be priming sugar on the bottom of the bottles. Any idea if its ok to drink or what it could be?

Yeast; they drop out of suspension once they're done eating the priming sugar.

You're stuck with it, unless you're set up to force-carbonate with a CO2 tank, but after 48 hours in the fridge, it usually sticks to the bottom of the bottle pretty well, so, you can avoid pouring it into your glass without leaving too much beer in the bottles.

Of course, if you don't mind cloudy beer and a slight flavor of yeast, you can just pour it into your glass and drink it, it's not bad for you in any way, it's just not typical to have suspended yeast in most styles of beer.

It's a natural sediment from yeast in the bottle and you can always pour gently to avoid getting in your glass. I have seen the amount in my bottles dwindle to nearly none over years of gaining experience in fermenting, transferring to carboys/secondary vessels to help with clearing, etc. Still have some in each batch, but I don't worry much about it.

Agreed - the more brewing experience you have, the better you are at avoiding getting trub in your bottles. My first batch had a few extra-crunchy bottles. Now mine hardly have any.

It's impossible to completely avoid sediment if you're carbonating in the bottle. The only real solution is to keg and force carbonate.

Look--go get a 12 pack of sierra nevada pale ale and set them on their sides in your vegetable crisper in the frig for a couple of weeks and you'll find some caca in the bottom corner of every bottle. They say it's bottle conditioned ale-anyway even the big-time outfits get some trash settling out so don't feel bad!

It isn't delicious, I leave it at the bottom of the bottle, it can also have a laxative effect. However, it does make the beer age in the bottle, which improves flavor and is why I don't filter.

Back