The hydrometer is my nemesis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseface

Reaction score
I feel very foolish! I have NO experience with a hydrometer. (only a refractometer). This will be my first attempt at home brew and I'm almost ready, however; I can not figure out this hydrometer. Every attempt I make to calibrate is a failure. The directions say it will float. This is not so. It does spin away from the sides of the jar, but always sinks to the bottom of every liquid. Can anyone tell me how to work this thing?

You need to fill the hydrometer jar with enough liquid in order for it to float. If you don't, it will always sink.

Do you have a standard hydrometer jar that came with it? Just fill it all the way up with liquid and it should float no problem.

It did not come with its own jar, but I have a graduated cylinder that I have filled all the way up and it always sinks.

Does it sink so that it is completely under water? What temp is the water at? At 60*F it should read 1.000. If it does sink, they probably put too much lead shot in it. Take it back and exchange it.

I thought mine was busted too when I first tried it out. Like the others are saying, I did not fill the jar with enough liquid. Mine luckily came with a plastic container about the same heighth. It's a subtle float so just watch carefully. I didn't even notice it right away. Good luck.

Ooh, now I feel really stupid. The cheap plastic tube it came in does actually work. Thank you so much! (I thought it was way to narrow). You guys are a big help, my husband is not!! Thanks again.

You're not the first one. One guy reported his gravity hadn't changed. He was filling the tube up to the "line" and inserting the hydrometer. The "line" was some sticky from the price tag.

Back