Brewing Irish Stout Tonight - Input please!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProstheticHead

Reaction score
So this will be my 3rd Homebrew. All have been from kits (too afraid to stray yet) Anyway, I have an Irish Stout Kit from True Brew. I was just curious if anyone had suggestions on how I could make this brew as good as possible. Maybe add some Oats? More Ingredients? I was gonna stray away from the LME as I feel this gave me off flavors I didnt like in my first 2 batches(The Tang). Unfortunately my LHBS is about an hour away, so I dont think I'll have a chance to get DME today. Any basic Input would be great. Here's a list of whats in the kit. Thanks!!

3.3 lbs Hopped Dark LME
2 lbs Muntons Dark DME
6 oz crystal grain
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz UK First Gold Hops
Muntons yeast

Put most of your extract in at the end of the boil to avoid over caramelizing (the tang). Not sure how that would work with hopped LME though as I've never used it. Idk if the hops are isomerized already or not.

Drop the muntons dry yeast. It's not a very good yeast. Go with an Irish Ale liquid yeast from Wyeast #1084.
Slainte

I always add my LME at flame-out. Seems to get rid of the tang and make some damn good beer. Just made the NB milk stout which is amazing. Added most the LME at FO.

Back