Splitting 2000ml Starter Into Two Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFlowers1300

Reaction score
So I've just upgraded my brewery to handle 10g batches and I have my first two beers on the new system planned for this Sunday. My question is what is the best method of spliting my starter between two carboys? I realize that I could eyeball and try to 50/50 the starter but it seems that I would achieve more even results if I pitched into my brew kettle and then transferred into the two carboys I'll be fermenting in. Would there be any downside to this being that all my equipment would be sanitized?

If you are using a 2L flask, you should be able to eyeball it pretty easy.

Maybe it's just me but why don't you just pour 1000 ml into one and 1000 ml in the other? There are measurements on the flask

If you are using a 2L flask, you should be able to eyeball it pretty easy.

I have done this many times. After starter is done fermenting, put in fridge over night, then decant. I swirl the starter to make sure all the yeast is in suspension then pour half in each. You don't need to be perfect with this.

Back