Kona Brewing Co. - Koko Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Blue

Reaction score
koko-brown-pint-glass.jpg

A Nut Brown Worth Cracking
Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.
Available Winter/Spring

BITTERNESS:
28 IBU
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME:
5.5%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY:
13.3 P
MALTS:
PREMIUM 2-ROW, VICTORY, CARAPILIS, MUNICH, CHOCOLATE
HOPS:
CASCADE, WILLAMETTE, WARRIOR, MILLENNIUM

First off, I have to say that I'm amazed those hops are in there. Granted, I have no idea how much and for how long, but I'll be damned if I didn't like this beer, and Cascade is typically a GAME OVER hop for me.

Anyhow, here's my review:

3.73/5
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Beer appears dark brown; quite red when backlit. Head is a thick off white and very creamy. Lacing is dense and persistent.

Aroma: Lightly hopped, very malty. There's a bit of a hop tang, but not enough to send me packing. The coconut is very pronounced, but toasted – not cloying or sweet – as the official description promises.

Taste: The coconut hits first, but the slight sweetness rides over the tongue in a wave, allowing the maltiness of the beer to come forth before reasserting itself at the finish. There is little to no bitterness. Again, the coconut has a distinctly toasted flavor to it, but ideally so. Enough to notice, but not overdone and, therefore, acrid.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, but not weak. Carbonation could be slightly higher

Overall: I'll be honest, this beer was decent enough to plow through a six pack in 90 minutes. A hair too sweet for my tastes, but much less so than some other Brown Ales I've attempted.

Serving type: bottle

PS. How is there not an official critique database?

strange I know... coconut and beer- but it is lovely... on a trip to Maui a few years back I made a daily stop at the Maui Brewing Company pub for couple of pints of Coconut Porter after a morning on the golf course... fantastic beer! It is OK in the cans (too expensive!) but it is fabulous off the tap!

Back