smallest batch in a 5 gallon bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I am still fermenting my first batch in a plastic bucket. I want to try some more brewing (once this one is bottled) but the rate I drink means doing 5 gallons each time will mean not many batches. What is the smallest size fermentation I can realistically do in a bucket designed for 5 gallons?

As small as you want really. The CO2 given off will take care of any excessive headspace issues. I'm sure you can do a 1 gallon batch and end up just fine if you chose to.

The only problem I could see is if you tried a really small (say 1 gallon) batch where you'd end up with about 2" of beer over 1/2" of trub. Might make getting clear beer into the bottling bucket a little more difficult. If you want to go that small, I'd consider getting some 1 gallon glass jugs and use a blowoff tube.

The only problem I could see is if you tried a really small (say 1 gallon) batch where you'd end up with about 2" of beer over 1/2" of trub. Might make getting clear beer into the bottling bucket a little more difficult. If you want to go that small, I'd consider getting some 1 gallon glass jugs and use a blowoff tube.

Very true. You can "technically" go as small as you can imagine. You need to figure out what is feasible though.

I wouldn't go lower than 2.5 gallon in a five gallon, even with co2 production, that is still a lot of headspace to contend with. At some point, you're going to open the vessel to take a reading and you'll lose some of that co2 protection.

The good news is, finding a smaller vessel should be pretty easy. I know Better Bottle makes a 3 gallon size, they're probably available in glass also. Plus, buckets with lids can probably be found in almost any size up to and including 55 gallons or so, you might just have to look around and scrounge.

If you are really looking at doing 1 gallon batches and the like, I would highly recommend getting a smaller bucket, like 2-2.5 gallons, because of the trub thing as mentioned before.

The good news is you should be able to get these for free from a local bakery or your grocery store. I know the one by my house has 2.5 gallon buckets that they get frosting in.

EDIT: I take it back. The frosting buckets are ~4 gallons, and the smaller ones I have say "garlic spread" on them.

Argh.

Why do people ferment in plastic buckets?

Large glass bottles are more sanitary and come in enough different sizes that you could make tiny little batches -- 1/2 gallon or gallon -- with little trouble if you're not all that into drinking beer all the time.

I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.

I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.

I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.

I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.

I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.

Always use plastic for primary here, lots of 2 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal bucket, never had an infection.

I did a 3 gallon batch. I am regretting it now because it turned out great. One nice thing is a normal 1.05 beer, you can just pitch a vial. Starter is not really necessary. I might do the 3 gallon for bigger beers since I still just have a 30q kettle and that's about right if I want to do more than 60 minute boils.

xjmox14x said:
I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.

I'd add if you're really rough with the bucket and scratch the hell out of it, it may be more prone to harboring bacteria in the cracks. Treat your equipment well, and there's really no difference in sterility.

I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.

1) I've not had any infections with my plastic. I'm sure it will happen some day, and when it does, I will replace my plastic. But hasn't happened yet, and I don't have to worry about a very heavy, very breakable carboy. Better bottles FTW! :D

2) Regarding the comment of 2 inches of beer on 1 inch of trub.... you have to remember that you are going to have a lot less trub with a 1 gallon batch, so I don't think this would be as big of a problem as you might think. That being said.....

3) I have done 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon BB with no problems, dunno if I'd go much smaller than that. 3 gallon BB are great for small batches.

I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.

Understood, and as the previous poster mentioned, using proper cleaning techniques (i.e. realizing that plastic is a softer medium than glass and can be prone to scratching) can yield the same sanitary conditions as a clean glass carboy. What it boils down to is sanitary practices. I'm just saying, if you got an infection, blame it on the brewer... not the fermentation device. Proper sanitation is required for both glass and plastic. And when done properly, both are perfectly safe. ;)

The whole of Australia brews in plastic.

HTH.

If we are talking about something left in the bucket, then I would think a bucket is easier to clean out than a bottle because I can actually reach into a bucket with a sponge and wipe away anything that might be left in there. Can't do that with a bottle.

Wow, how did this thread turn into yet another plastic vs glass argument?

oh, I see. tallgirl maybe you are new to the forum, but we really don't need to rehash this again. You can do a search and find hundreds of threads that go over this from every possible angle. It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to bring something new to the argument at this point.

Contaminated batches come form poor cleaning and sanitation, not plastic. If you can't clean a bucket maybe you should pick up knitting instead.

I use a plastic Mr. Beer fermenter for 2 gallon batches. I don't use the valve on it and I bottle form another plastic bucket (frankly, a valve on a fermenter just scares me). That way I can measure out exact amounts to get the level of carbonation I want and I can boil the priming solution.

Back