Supermarket cow milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
Hey ya'll -

I just tried making a second batch of cheese from cow's milk from Trader Joe's and it isn't coagulating. I've seen pictures online of bad coagulation from hotly pasteurized/ultrapasteurized milk and mine looks identical.

I live in a big city and unfortunately I don't own an automobile to drive to some great local farms in the area. Has anybody used milk from Whole Foods or your local hippie shop for this hobby?

Thanks for your help!

Hey ya'll -

I just tried making a second batch of cheese from cow's milk from Trader Joe's and it isn't coagulating. I've seen pictures online of bad coagulation from hotly pasteurized/ultrapasteurized milk and mine looks identical.

I live in a big city and unfortunately I don't own an automobile to drive to some great local farms in the area. Has anybody used milk from Whole Foods or your local hippie shop for this hobby?

Thanks for your help!

My wife and I tried three different grocery stores before we found a supermarket brand that would work. We have had success with both 2% and whole milk. They key is to just keep searching, difficult without a car, I know. But Supermarket brands will work if you can find the right one. For the record, out of the three brands that didn't work the first time we tried them, we have since gone back and been able to make cheese with at least one of them. Variation in the milk quality between the first and second try? Possibly. The fact that we had 8 or 9 batches under us before we tried that milk again? Most likely.. Good luck!

try milk from Oberwise. You should be able to get that in the Chicago area (it's based out of North Aurora) . It looks like they even offer home delivery if you are in their area. (Milwaukee isnt :( probably for the best or I'd have more cheese the I know what to do with)

Thanks guys. As it turns out, a coworker told me about a source for raw milk in my city (ethnic corner store). If any Chicagoans stumble on this thread, PM me for it. They also have great honey!

Back