"you either like beer made with corn or you like beer made with rice"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand11587

Reaction score
i stumbled upon this video.. a "beer industry expert" weighs in on the sale of pabst brewing company.

there are some gems in it. i wonder if her book is any good. i dont think she is much of a proponent for the craft brewing movement, for shame.

this gave me a 'wtf moment': "In the world of beer, you either like beer made with corn, or you like beer made with rice."

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=289004&cl=16428186&src=finance&ch=1316259

Her book is very good, but she is not a craft beer enthusiast. The book is basically the telling of one of the most successful stories of capitalism ever.

Her book is very good, but she is not a craft beer enthusiast.

She's not?

I'd disagree entirely. Maureen Ogle loves good beer, but she comes at the craft beer movement from a different perspective (a historian's). She's rightly called Greg Koch and Sam Caglione out on some of their rhetorical horse**** in the past. I can't watch the video now (I'm at work), but don't think she's some sort of macro tool.

don't think she's some sort of macro tool.
There is a big difference between being a "macro tool" and a craft beer enthusiast. You make is sound like if someone isn't a craft beer enthusiast that is a bad thing. Settle down.

People always think that book is going to be some BMC bashing microbrew circle jerk, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

I read Ambitious Brew, and enjoyed the heck out of it. Hell, I follow the author's Twitter feed. You have to keep in mind, that for the majority of the beer-buying population, that statement is probably fairly true.

While craft beer is a fairly large and popular market compared to what it once was, on the scale of the total amount of beer brewed and consumed in the US and Canada, craft beer is just a drop in the bucket.

Per the Brewers Association, 2008 US Beer sales were about 210 million barrels. Craft brewers accounted for about 8.5 million of those, or roughly 4 percent.

Sobering thought, huh?

i stumbled upon this video.. a "beer industry expert" weighs in on the sale of pabst brewing company.

there are some gems in it. i wonder if her book is any good. i dont think she is much of a proponent for the craft brewing movement, for shame.

this gave me a 'wtf moment': "In the world of beer, you either like beer made with corn, or you like beer made with rice."

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=289004&cl=16428186&src=finance&ch=1316259

As far as that goes, I wouldn't say she is much of a beer proponent be it craft or mega beer. She is a historian who was between works. A beer truck passed in front of her, so she decided to research American brewing. IMO she did a great job, very scholarly. She's a great writer also, not the dry bones type.

BMC bashing microbrew circle jerk.

Is that what you guys do at your secret Tuesday meetings?

I have that book as well. A good read once you get past the first couple of chapters. A little slow starting though. I think the author was on one of James Spencer's Basic Brewing podcasts a few months ago.

Back