Under hopped wort after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesP

Reaction score
I've made a mistake!

I brewed a Kolsch today and accidentally used half as many bittering hops as I was supposed to during the boil. Once I moved the wort to the fermenter, I reviewed my brewing notes and discovered the hop issue.

I'm pitching my yeast tomorrow so i'm wondering if there is anything that I could do to fix this. I'm sitting at around 10 IBU's and I need to be around 20-30 to be within range for the style.

Could I make a hop tea on the stove and add it to the fermenter before I pitch? It would be boiled and cooled before being added to the wort.

Any help would be appreciated.

That is one way. Another is to boil some hops in a DME mix with 1.040 gravity for about an hour, cool and add to your carboy. How much volume you will need for that is beyond me.

A tea of water and hops would work, it just wouldn't be as bitter (someone may need to second this opinion) and would dilute your kolsch.

If you haven't added the yeast yet, just re-boil a gallon or two with a little water added to account for evaporation and hop it up.

Latest posts

Back